Tenant Screening

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Schroder
Votes |
help me pick a tenent (sophie's choice)

Daniel Schroder
Posted Apr 12 2024, 08:17

I have a 2 bed 1400 sqft rowhouse.  Applicants are in mid- to late 20s.  Background and credit checks are excellent.  Both have cat (which is fine since never had mice when cat was on-site)

1.  Couple, he's a post-doc (low income, but verified 6 mos rent in savings). She's finishing mfa, relocating and no job yet, but solid prior work history. If she gets a basic job, rent would easily be less than 30% of gross). Overeducated as hell, walking distance to work for him, but can't move until June 1.  I don't think they are married, but refer to themselves as "partners", and appear to have been co-habitating prior and during grad school.  Say they plan on staying 2-4 years.

2. Single woman, moves a lot, but moving back from abroad to be closer to family.  Good income, but all 1099.  Works from home (marketing research).  Move in mid-May.  Says no plans to relocate, wrote 2+ years on desired length of residency.

1st couple expressed some "squeamishness" with vermin.  No active problems, but is an old house with basement crickets, house centipedes and the occasional american cockroach  coming up the plumbing.  I don't pay for an exterminator, and don't want to start.  They applied first.

For single woman, she a tiny thing and there is some yard maintenance required. Not sure if she's ever started a lawn mower or shoveled a sidewalk, and not sure her dad will drive 45 minutes to do so.

House really seems better suited to the couple, but have an inkling to single woman might be a bit more chill with maintenance stuff has a history of living in some pretty rugged places.