Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Emily Berry
Votes |
Including Repair Costs in Bank Loan If Property Appraises for Purchase Price + Rehab

Emily Berry
Posted Apr 25 2024, 06:10

Good morning, BiggerPockets Community.

I am going to buy my dad's house for my first flip. Orignally, I was going to buy the house for $200,000 and use either hard money or a HELOC for the rehab costs. Then I thought I could buy the house from my dad for $300,000, which would include the money needed for the rehab instead of doing 2 separate loans. My dad wants 75k from the deal. This would be conventional financing.

The check for the profit is sent to my dad, he takes his 75k out, and I would like to use that remaining money for the rehab. If the house appraises for at least $300k at the time I purchase it from my dad, is this okay to do then? The money would be in my dad's name though, so I feel like there would problems with this. 

So, my question is then is my new plan doable or is there a better strategy? My dad is retired and his credit score isn't the greatest while my credit score really good and debt to income is pretty low right now.

Mortgage Owed: 118,000

Money to Seller:  75,000

Est. Rehab Cost:  100,000

Zillow Est Value:  350, 000 - 412,000

ARV: 450,000

Loading replies...