• Houston, TX
Votes |
Hard money to owner occupy

William Butler
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 3 2024, 02:54

HARD MONEY QUESTION:

I'm looking at purchasing a townhouse in Houston. It is vacant, requires some flooring work (2nd floor has no floors laid) along with other cosmetic related needs. I plan on buying, rehabbing, and living in the home for at least 2 yrs.

I want to know, would it make sense to use hard money on the rehab, then refinance into a conventional if I am planning to owner occupy the deal? What would this process look like?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 3 2024, 04:42
Quote from @William Butler:

HARD MONEY QUESTION:

I'm looking at purchasing a townhouse in Houston. It is vacant, requires some flooring work (2nd floor has no floors laid) along with other cosmetic related needs. I plan on buying, rehabbing, and living in the home for at least 2 yrs.

I want to know, would it make sense to use hard money on the rehab, then refinance into a conventional if I am planning to owner occupy the deal? What would this process look like?

Typically a HML will not lend on owner occupant property due to federal compliance issues. Sorry

Check like a 203B loan

User Stats

Votes
Shafi Noss
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Washington, D.C.
Replied May 3 2024, 06:25
Quote from @William Butler:

HARD MONEY QUESTION:

It may be ok if you move in after the HML loan is paid off.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Blazer
  • Lender
  • Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota FL and Knoxville/Sevierville/Maryville, TN
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota FL and Knoxville/Sevierville/Maryville, TN
Replied May 3 2024, 10:22

As everyone has stated, HML are normally for business purposes. If you are looking to refinance into a conventional with a cash-out refi you will need to wait 1 year. If you are looking to refinance with a rate and term or non-qm option you may be looking at around 6 month season. I would talk to lenders in your state to get specific.