Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Tanner McElroy
Votes |
New to real estate Investing/Wholesaling

Tanner McElroy
Posted Apr 10 2024, 18:15

Hi all, my business partner and I have recently filed for our LLC to start our real estate investment journey in Ohio. We have been doing our research regarding the in's and outs of the different types of real estate investment. Ultimately our main goal build a portfolio of multiple different types of investment properties, buy and holds, rental properties, and fix/flips; but the wholesaling side of real estate seems like an attractive venture as we are just starting with little capital and it could provide us with a revenue stream to become a cash buyer.

That being said, we are currently exploring financing options for funding our first investment property purchase which have brough up a couple questions we cannot seem to get a straight forward answer on: 

1. What is the best financing option for someone just getting in to real estate to purchase their first property and what does that process look like for someone just establishing a business?

2. Are there any true $0 down private money lenders offering pre-approval/financing for properties in the $50-100K range? If not what is a good down payment price/percentage we should be looking for? 

3. Will lender still provide financing in situations where you would like to close on property but do not renovate and immediately list it for sale again? 

4. Do people leave an assignment clause in their purchase agreement that would still allow them assign the contract to a cash buyer able to close on the property in a shorter time period?  What kind of affect if any would this have on any sort of financing that is in the works to purchase the property?

Any information and guidance is greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
William Naber
Pro Member
  • Missouri
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Missouri
Replied Apr 10 2024, 18:40

A lot a great questions here. If you are going the traditional financing route with a bank expect 20-25% down. If you are going to fix and flip then the most you can finance is about 75%LTV with no experience. No money down deals require some pretty solid relationships or giving up a chunk of equity.

3. I'm not sure what you mean here.  What you are describing is essentially a double close.  I don't know any investors that would give you money to buy a property with an unknown sale timeline with no value add.  How is my investment secured?

4. I would recommend your contract ALWAYS have an assignment clause IF you are wholesaling.  The exception is states where you must disclose that you are wholesaling or in states where wholesaling requires a real estate license.  In those cases double close.

I have some solid contracts that can show you. I am also an investor and can help you find funding for EMD and double closes. PM me if you want to chat more.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 11 2024, 04:58
Quote from @Tanner McElroy:

Hi all, my business partner and I have recently filed for our LLC to start our real estate investment journey in Ohio. We have been doing our research regarding the in's and outs of the different types of real estate investment. Ultimately our main goal build a portfolio of multiple different types of investment properties, buy and holds, rental properties, and fix/flips; but the wholesaling side of real estate seems like an attractive venture as we are just starting with little capital and it could provide us with a revenue stream to become a cash buyer.

That being said, we are currently exploring financing options for funding our first investment property purchase which have brough up a couple questions we cannot seem to get a straight forward answer on: 

1. What is the best financing option for someone just getting in to real estate to purchase their first property and what does that process look like for someone just establishing a business?

2. Are there any true $0 down private money lenders offering pre-approval/financing for properties in the $50-100K range? If not what is a good down payment price/percentage we should be looking for? 

3. Will lender still provide financing in situations where you would like to close on property but do not renovate and immediately list it for sale again? 

4. Do people leave an assignment clause in their purchase agreement that would still allow them assign the contract to a cash buyer able to close on the property in a shorter time period?  What kind of affect if any would this have on any sort of financing that is in the works to purchase the property?

Saving your money and networking with private moneylenders is best. It can take a few years to build business credit up to a point where you can make large purchases such a property etc. 

Private money should be based off of the relationships you establish, therefore anything is possible. I don't recommend going to a 3rd party company for private money until you have some experience

3. Will lender still provide financing in situations where you would like to close on property but do not renovate and immediately list it for sale again?

If your asking this I wouldnt touch it quite yet. There are some bridge gap lenders but learn about it before attempting to do a double close etc. There are some tax implications etc as well. 

4. Do people leave an assignment clause in their purchase agreement that would still allow them assign the contract to a cash buyer able to close on the property in a shorter time period? What kind of affect if any would this have on any sort of financing that is in the works to purchase the property?

I don't understand what your saying but I'll give it a shot. If your wholesaling you should have an assignable contract that you can sell to an end buyer. The closing timeline is the expiration of the contract. The buyer of the contract should be able to close within that timeline. There is no "set" number of days to close unless you put it in the contract. Also, you should only be looking for cash buyers so financing contingencies should not be an issue. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Apr 14 2024, 08:38
Quote from @Tanner McElroy:

Since you have put this post under wholesaling here are my responses to your questions:

1. In order to get a property under contract you'll have to provide some kind of consideration to the seller. That consideration usually in the majority of contracts is an Earnest Money Deposit (EMD). How much EMD is a function of negotiation? Since you intend to wholesale you'll either have to use cash, or maybe get an advance from a credit card or business loan to cover your EMD.

2. Since you intend to wholesale you should establish relationships with Transactional Lenders.  They provide one-day loans to facilitate double closings. You need to make sure there's enough room in your deals to accomodate a double close

3.  Lenders only care that they get paid back. For example- the transactional lender that I mentioned above will only fund you if you show them a contract with a buyer ready to close.  Without that contract, you will not get funded

Your 4th question is kind of confusing so I'm going to pass on providing a response.

The Smith Group Logo