• Realtor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
Share your most unexpected win

JT McCarthy
  • Realtor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Posted Apr 16 2024, 10:16

Share your most unexpected win in real estate investing. Was it a deal that seemed too good to be true, a property with hidden potential, or a creative financing strategy that paid off big time? Let's hear your story and inspire fellow investors with your unique journey!

User Stats

Votes
Aubrey Ford
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Replied Apr 19 2024, 15:55

My first deal ever last year
I purchased a two property deal in a single hard money loan. (low value properties -125k for both) Intention was to do a BRRR on both. The first one worked out perfectly. I'm getting about 8% CoC with 11% Return on Equity. The other suprised me. The rehab was about $10k more than anticipated but the post repair appraisal was $70k over my estimated ARV. The CoC and Return on Equity are not great, but now I have $70k of equity I have to figure out how leverage. If I take it out I go negative CoC and Return on Equity is below 2% :( I look at this as good problem to have and consider this a huge success for my very first deal.

Sincere thank you to everyone here. The Bigger Pockets community has been a real help for me in making good decisions 

User Stats

Votes
JT McCarthy
  • Realtor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:15

What an eventful first deal! Definitely very good problems to have! Congratulations!

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Apr 24 2024, 13:29

We somehow were able to piece together buying a portfolio of 97 properties. It required the seller wanting to sell to us and decide to be willing to owner finance 75% and coming across a group of siblings looking for a 1031 that we were able to partner with. I wrote about it more here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/2015-10-15-purchased-97-p...