Skip to content
Real Estate Success Stories

User Stats

Votes
Estrella Carolina Mckinney
  • Investor
  • San Antonio Texas
Votes |
Make sure your contractor is good at spelling in English.

Estrella Carolina Mckinney
  • Investor
  • San Antonio Texas
Posted Feb 7 2024, 08:02

In the world of remodeling, accuracy matters, even in spelling!

Choosing a contractor who excels not only in construction, but also in clear communication, is the key to a smooth and successful project. Because when every detail is explained correctly, it not only builds spaces, it builds trust. Choose a contractor who crafts perfection, word for word. 

Did you find this interesting, I want to know what you think?

Don't expect it to happen to you like it did to me and not get passed over for a misspelled word.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:59

While clear communication is important, I wouldn't summarily discount contractors whose first language isn't English. 

I've had many many excellent contractors where English was their second language.   There's a difference between carelessness and secondary language barriers.  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Feb 12 2024, 11:54

Clear communication is definitely important but I don't think good spelling is particularly important. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Nathaniel Bowers
  • Contractor
  • Columbus ohio
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Columbus ohio
Replied Apr 2 2024, 13:20

😆😆😆☺️🙏 I apologize for any confusion caused by the wording! You’re absolutely right—precision in communication is crucial, especially when it comes to construction and home improvement projects. The subtle differences between terms like “remove,” “replace,” and “installation of new” can indeed lead to unexpected outcomes.

I use a detailed excel spreadsheet to clarify expectations I'd have no problem sharing I use with all my clients that I perform work for. Providing clear instructions and specifications helps prevent misunderstandings and ensures that everyone is on the same page. It might be tedious, but it’s a wise investment of time to avoid potential mishaps.

If you're a Microsoft office buff I'll email my spreadsheet it could be a valuable resource for others navigating similar situations. And yes, proper punctuation is essential for clarity! 📝

Remember, a well-communicated contract benefits both parties and contributes to a successful project.