Pro Member
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Property lien from 1979 taxes

Krista Moreno
Pro Member
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Apr 25 2024, 15:51

I appreciate this platform and all the great information and help! 

My problem is on a home I was going to inherit from my aunt in Florida. A couple years ago the IRS asked for her 1979 taxes and she didn’t have them to prove them. So she claims they’ve put a lien on her house. How would I go about finding this lien. And is this legal for the IRS to do with them being so many years ago? I don’t have the money to hire an attorney. And I’m afraid when she passes if the house is to go to me I’ll have to pay the lien amount in order to put it in my name. 
Any insight or help on what I should do?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 25 2024, 16:42
Quote from @Krista Moreno:

I appreciate this platform and all the great information and help! 

My problem is on a home I was going to inherit from my aunt in Florida. A couple years ago the IRS asked for her 1979 taxes and she didn’t have them to prove them. So she claims they’ve put a lien on her house. How would I go about finding this lien. And is this legal for the IRS to do with them being so many years ago? I don’t have the money to hire an attorney. And I’m afraid when she passes if the house is to go to me I’ll have to pay the lien amount in order to put it in my name. 
Any insight or help on what I should do?

A lien should be recorded with the county recorder of deeds where the property is located. Nowadays most recorders’ data is on the web. Find the web site, search the property 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Apr 25 2024, 17:57

@Krista Moreno sorry to hear about this situation, never heard of this yet. There are likely attorneys that can/will chime in. I wouldn't take any advice of anyone not licensed. If not, let me know, I have some resources that may be willing to provide a free consultation. A title company can do a simple lien search to find out what is attached to the property too. 

How much is the lien? If you do inherit and have to sell, you can negotiate the buyer to pay any taxes due. Most investors are willing to do that if they get some equity on the purchase, I know I would. 

It's possible that she could do a reverse mortgage(HECM) to get some equity out and pay off the lien, I have a resource for that too. 

Wish you the best. 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Apr 25 2024, 18:51

I would think this is a scam.  

If there is an IRS document take it to an IRS office or send it for confirmation.