Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Ramsey
Votes |
How to Determine Fair Market Rent

Samuel Ramsey
Posted Mar 14 2024, 08:10

My fiancée and I purchased a small starter home (2 Bed-2 Bath New Construction) approximately a year ago using an FHA loan. We are wanting to upgrade into a larger home and are trying to decide if renting our first home is feasible or not. I am having a hard time determining what our market would allow us to ask for rent. I would appreciate any advice on figuring out what we could charge for rent so that we can decide if selling or renting is our best option.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Mar 14 2024, 09:14

Ask an agent

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Mar 14 2024, 09:14

Or a property manager

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Downey
  • Lender
  • Springfield MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield MO
Replied Mar 14 2024, 09:16

Zillow Rental Manager has a good tool---https://www.zillow.com/rental-manager/price-my-rental/; you can try rentometer--https://www.rentometer.com/, too! 

Those can give you a good starting point. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Mar 16 2024, 08:12

Act like a prospective tenant. You might search the internet or drive around looking for For Rent signs. While these are 'listed' and not 'rented' amounts, they will give you a good idea. List your home on the internet for a similar price and state that it is coming soon. See what interest you get.

As far as determining your best option of renting or selling, ask yourself if you want to be a landlord. Do you want the hassle that comes with leasing and fixing problems? Will you get a property manager for it?

If your long term goals include investing, this is a great opportunity to start, with a property you already own. Remember to consider the equity your tenant is building for you when you compare rent vs sale.