User Stats

Votes
AJ Cerbo
Votes |
Eviction - Tenant Sending Money

AJ Cerbo
Posted Feb 2 2024, 10:28

Hi Everyone -

I have a tenant who is on their second eviction at my property. After filing with the court, the tenant sent me a partial payment via CashApp. During the court case, the judge informed me accepting any money forfeits the eviction.

My question is, if the tenant sends money again during the eviction process, and I immediately send it back, is that considered "not accepting"?

I'm unsure if there's any way around this unless I simply block their CashApp / Zelle. But then they may use that against me in court saying I wasn't allowing them the opportunity to pay. Any help is appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • SE Michigan
Replied Feb 2 2024, 10:46

If cash hits your account, that is often seen as "accepting" a partial payment.

Our system will not allow any resident to make a partial payment.  You absolutely should block Zelle for someone who is being evicted and require they provide certified payments in full.  We won't even accept credit card payment as that can often be pulled back after payment.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Cerbo
Votes |
Replied Feb 2 2024, 11:08

How do you suppose I go about this? Block them on cashapp and zelle? And if in court they state to the judge I didn't give them an opportunity to receive payment? The eviction is for nonpayment of rent

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 2 2024, 13:35
Quote from @AJ Cerbo:

Hi Everyone -

I have a tenant who is on their second eviction at my property. After filing with the court, the tenant sent me a partial payment via CashApp. During the court case, the judge informed me accepting any money forfeits the eviction.

My question is, if the tenant sends money again during the eviction process, and I immediately send it back, is that considered "not accepting"?

I'm unsure if there's any way around this unless I simply block their CashApp / Zelle. But then they may use that against me in court saying I wasn't allowing them the opportunity to pay. Any help is appreciated!

I would consult a real estate attorney. This could get sticky

User Stats

Votes
Mak K.
Votes |

Yes once in Eviction court, I heard judge state in the similar case. If landlord sends the money back with Check and tracking number, it is considered not accepted.

User Stats

Votes
Nader Shariff
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Feb 24 2024, 21:27
Quote from @AJ Cerbo:

How do you suppose I go about this? Block them on cashapp and zelle? And if in court they state to the judge I didn't give them an opportunity to receive payment? The eviction is for nonpayment of rent

I would run this scenario by your real estate attorney. They would be the best bet in guiding you. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 25 2024, 05:45
Quote from @AJ Cerbo:

Accepting any amount of money implies you are willing to accept payments.

Shut down any method of electronic payment. If they mail you anything, return it to the sender. 

The only payment you should accept is 100% in full, including late fees and court costs, and it has to be in certified funds (cash, money order, cashier's check). Depending on state law, you may be required to accept a full payment, but it's not always required.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Feb 25 2024, 13:00

@AJ Cerbo, the pay or quit notice I use specifically states that partial payments are not accepted "except with a WRITTEN payment agreement".

So, if I were to receive a partial payment, I would contact the tenant about refunding it and cite the notices language requiring a WRITTEN agreement to accept payments before taking a partial payment.

I believe that the notice and my subsequent timely communication and refunding of the payment would handle that issue if it came before a judge.

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Feb 26 2024, 04:10

If the rent is deposited into your account then you have accepted payment.

I use apartments.com and zillow to handle payments - they allow you to block payments.

This won't help you this time but in the future your lease should specify how they are allowed to pay rent, specify payment options that give you control over the payment.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Sullivan
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 4 2024, 14:34

AJ, if you are in need of a landlord attorney, I recommend HULL, HOLLIDAY & HOLLIDAY PLC

https://www.h3landlordlaw.com/