Skip to content
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Kevin N. Saisi
Votes |
Seeking startup and initial ops support in Tuscany (Italy)

Kevin N. Saisi
Posted Apr 16 2024, 12:35

My cousin and I are considering acquiring a two-unit home in Tuscany. The bottom unit is in good shape, but the second needs much work. I seek proposals from people experienced in weekly and monthly rentals to set up and operate the bottom unit. We could do it ourselves, and eventually we will, but if someone who lives in Northern Tuscany could be our guide and startup marketer, that would be great. Neither can be there regularly, so we need hands on the ground. We have cousins in the area and could contact others in the industry, but there is a difference between doing it and doing it right.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Apr 19 2024, 09:12

Realize you’re asking about marketing, but read your other post on the subject also.

My brother and his wife just bought a place near Lucca, Italy.  It was entertaining listening to the process they went through.  

They looked at around 50 properties both new and old.   There was not a single house that did not have technical issues beyond just repairing.
 Even the brand new house had issues.  It was built with no permit and it had no legal access.  Even the other older homes along the road had no legal access even though there is a shared road.  Banks don’t like that, nor for resale.

Realize this property is part of your family history, but would have an Immobiliarie research the property and identify all issues and give a repair estimate before digging deeper into this.  For example.  You will probably be required to tear the entire floor out and out in a vapor seal.  And since this is an old house you will probably need to underpin the footings at the same time.  Lots of cost most of us would not have considered.  

Pay an Immobiliarie to do the study.

This will have to be a cash deal.  If the issues are not addressed no bank over there will loan against.  

User Stats

Votes
Kevin N. Saisi
Votes |
Replied Apr 19 2024, 13:55

Thanks, my cousin is a trained Geometra, so I will consult with him.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 20 2024, 06:17

I would love to own a vacation home in Tuscany! I keep an eye on the market, but will probably never take the leap. Easier to just rent someone else's place.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin N. Saisi
Votes |
Replied Apr 20 2024, 06:30

When we are ready, I will post here. My cousin has stepped up to fill the financial need, but I still will require in person guidance when planning the rental launch late this year or early next year. 

I hope that we will be able to be your hosts in the future.