User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
#1 Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Cat Litter House: Flip # 653 and it could be the worst one yet. Look at the pics and you decide.

Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Posted Jun 15 2014, 15:21

Some flips are easy...paint, carpet, clean, and list.  Then there are the hard ones. 

I've never posted a diary of a flip before.  With over 600 flips under my belt I sometimes think that I've seen it all.  Then I see something I haven't seen before.  This time, It's so outrageous that I couldn't resist sharing.  I'll share the visuals, but fortunately for you I can't share the smells.  This is kind of a diary and kind of not...I bought it in January so you don't get the day-by-day play-by-play, but it's not done yet so this isn't old news either.

I came across this deal from a wholesaler who I met on BP (thanks yet again BP for making me money).  He hadn't seen the house in person but he had heard it was in bad shape.

I sent my acquisitions guy down there to look at the house. When he came back he said, "that's the worst house I've ever seen." At first I thought "Come on, really? You've looked at over a thousand houses for me!" Ultimately, I took his word for it. We threw a number at the rehab and ARV and made an offer. It was accepted.

Here are the numbers:

ARV $400,000 (probably a little more, I hope)

Rehab $175,000 (probably a little less, I hope)

Since there were some unknowns I had to make a conservative offer.  It would take a while to fix this place up, so I had to add some margin to cover the carrying costs. 

My offer: $125,000.

Closing was about a month later.  The seller agreed to move out and leave the key at the title company.  On move-out day, I went down to the house to see it for myself for the first time.  When I opened the front door, this is what I saw.

Ok, so now I knew that my acquisitions guy was right!  We were in for it!

Have you ever seen anything like it?  Wait, it gets worse.  More to follow!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Dec 18 2014, 19:35

@Reggie Maggard I build my own list by mining data from public records. In some areas there are websites that aggregate this data, I'm just old school.

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Sakurets
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Dec 18 2014, 20:02
Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

Finally, the moment you've all been waiting for!  Escrow closed today, and the numbers are in.

$525,000 Sales Price

- MINUS -

$125,000  Purchase Price

$185,327  Rehab

$13,752 Borrowing Costs

$4,562  Insurance/Property Taxes/Utilities

$26,250 Commissions

$1,356 Closing Costs (buy side and sell side)

$168,753  Net Profit

This one worked out pretty well, I'd say.  Someone asked me earlier in the thread if there is anything I'd have done differently.  The answer is YES, I would have done the air test before putting the house on the market.  I had an offer the first weekend it was listed, the offer was $540,000.  The buyer backed out when they saw the disclosures, but I think they might have moved forward if I'd have had that air test to show them.  That mistake cost me $15K in additional profit.  Live and learn, I guess, but it doesn't change the fact that this was a pretty successful flip.

I'm ready for another one of these!

Congrats, Brian. What do you think the house would sell for in as-is condition if it would be listed on MLS when you first saw it? This is the second time in 10 years that I hear somebody made over 150k on the flip

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Dec 18 2014, 21:22

In our hot market it's anybody's guess how much a fool would pay...but anybody with a reasonable mind wouldn't pay over $175K in its as-is condition.  I wouldn't have paid that, there was just too much risk and at that time there were no comps to support a $525K exit price.  More like $450K.  So I'd say that $75K of that profit was a gift from the market.  When buying, I don't underwrite for appreciation.

User Stats

Votes
Pavel Sakurets
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Dec 18 2014, 21:31
Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

In our hot market it's anybody's guess how much a fool would pay...but anybody with a reasonable mind wouldn't pay over $175K in its as-is condition.  I wouldn't have paid that, there was just too much risk and at that time there were no comps to support a $525K exit price.  More like $450K.  So I'd say that $75K of that profit was a gift from the market.  When buying, I don't underwrite for appreciation.

If I got it right, you bought it cheaper by 40k than anybody else would and extra 75k was as a ''gift'' from the market. Thus if these two things wouldn't happen, you would make about 35-40k?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Dec 18 2014, 21:44
Originally posted by @Pavel Sakurets:
 If I got it right, you bought it cheaper by 40k than anybody else would and extra 75k was as a ''gift'' from the market. Thus if these two things wouldn't happen, you would make about 35-40k?

Yeah, probably. I aim for a net of 10% of the exit price.  So maybe $45K had I sold it for $450K.

User Stats

Votes
Les Jean-Pierre
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Dec 27 2014, 08:07

Wow, great thread. Thanks for being diligent about updating everyone.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Replied Jan 6 2015, 19:18

Excellent job and great service to the neighborhood. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater/Dunedin, FL
Votes |
  • Clearwater/Dunedin, FL
Replied Jan 12 2015, 13:57

Awesome job!! Definitely a lemons into lemonade success story. Thought the dark laminate flooring and staging furniture looked very tasteful on the final shots. Also, appreciate the honesty in the full disclosure. Proves that even in an area with stiff competition, if you are known, get your hustle on, run your numbers right and don’t get scared off, there’s potential profit to be made.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jan 12 2015, 22:01

@Les Jean-Pierre , @Account Closed Thanks for reading and commenting!  One of the most rewarding parts of my job is turning an eyesore (or health hazard) into a great home.  That's why after 25 years this doesn't get old.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Hall
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jan 15 2015, 14:00

I went to that house and saw the completed job before the sale closed.  It was nice to see the photos of the before.  What a change.

Let's just say - the person liked Trader Joes.  I'm suprised it wasn't filled with Walmart bags. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jan 15 2015, 20:41

@Aaron Hall how did you find it?  Did you just follow the smell?  LOL. Funny thing, even Trader Joes doesn't have that many Trader Joes bags.

User Stats

Votes
David White
  • Edgewood, MD
Votes |
  • Edgewood, MD
Replied Oct 18 2015, 14:09

@Brian BurkeDo you have any video of the house before the pics. Something is telling me the before photos aren't doing it any justice. I probably would've seeked professional psychological help after stepping in that house before the transformation. But, wow what an amazing job. The house is beautiful. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Oct 19 2015, 14:20

@David White, I don't have any video, although that would have been fun to watch.  Fortunately, no smell-a-vision either...LOL

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Bayang
  • Investor
  • Kent, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kent, WA
Replied Oct 19 2015, 14:42

Holy cow! That is quite an undertaking. Nicely done @Brian Burke!

User Stats

Votes
Imran Raz
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Oct 20 2015, 08:54

This is amazing transformation, Just to undertake such project require tons of experience and guts. This is truly inspiring stuff. 

User Stats

Votes
Shirley Gregory
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Nov 25 2015, 12:39

WOW, just wow!  Epic rehab, great job Brian and thanks for sharing. 

User Stats

Votes
Ernie V.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 25 2015, 15:58

What a transformation! Nice job!

User Stats

Votes
Rick Mays
  • Mount Vernon, IL
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, IL
Replied Jan 9 2016, 21:24

amazing brian , wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. in my neck of the woods you can get those houses for a grand, no lie.of course the ones I'm talking about are basic 2/1 with only maybe 1200 sq ft. totally rehabbed they don't go for much over 30k. neighborhood considered the hood if you understand my terminology. man what a great job. miracles do happen don't they? wonderful! id like to just spend a month with you learning all the processes of what you do. fantastic!

User Stats

Votes
Waverly Rennie
  • Dunedin, FL
Votes |
  • Dunedin, FL
Replied Jan 17 2016, 20:40

Brian, thanks so much for all your efforts in documenting this and answering all our questions. I learned a lot from the process and was inspired by your straight-up and honest approach. Thanks for all your hard work sharing your experiences with us!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jan 18 2016, 21:54

I'm glad you found it helpful (and entertaining), @Waverly Rennie.  Thanks for the comment!

User Stats

Votes
Emily Lopez
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rock Springs, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rock Springs, WY
Replied Mar 2 2016, 12:43

I came across this older post when searching for before and afters (I wish there were more of those on here).  The original condition of this house is absolutely astounding.  Looks great now!

User Stats

Votes
FRANK R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dothan, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dothan, AL
Replied Nov 18 2018, 00:47

Brian, My first visit here I did a drive-by posting. This time I read thru the entire post and was spellbound as the saga unraveled.  Wow!! You are a motivator and a change agent. Thanks for sharing.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.