Votes
Elaine Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Flip or Rent?

Elaine Jackson
Pro Member
Posted May 2 2024, 11:24

I recently purchased a home with an estimated ARV $265000. I will have about $200,000 of my own cash invested. Do I flip and move on to the next or cash flow a couple of years. I am concerned the area I purchased in 32148 won't see as much appreciation compared to a purchase in another surrounding county. I have spoken to some realtors in the area who say rent would be btw 1600-1800/month.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 2 2024, 11:32

Hi Elaine,

If it's in an area you wouldn't want to rent in, it's usually a flip. You could do a cash out refinance and rent it out while getting the cash out of the deal - but if you have zero reasons to keep (no cash flow or no appreciation), it may not make sense.

User Stats

Votes
David Pearl
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 2 2024, 22:19
Quote from @Elaine Jackson:

I recently purchased a home with an estimated ARV $265000. I will have about $200,000 of my own cash invested. Do I flip and move on to the next or cash flow a couple of years. I am concerned the area I purchased in 32148 won't see as much appreciation compared to a purchase in another surrounding county. I have spoken to some realtors in the area who say rent would be btw 1600-1800/month.

If you do a cash out refi you could pull out just about all your cash in the deal, and still own a rental. Then rinse. Repeat. Great way to scale. Happy to discuss 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
Jacopo Iasiello#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 3 2024, 10:24

Hi Elaine, question are what is your investment goals and risk tolerance?

User Stats

Votes
Elaine Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 4 2024, 18:42

Thank you so much. I have long term goals of cash flowing for retirement. But if I ask myself if I want to rent in this area I would say no. Flipping this property seems more like the right decision. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 5 2024, 05:32
Quote from @Elaine Jackson:

FLIP 1700 in rent all in 200K is terrible,