Votes |
The Secret Sauce to 6 out of 9 Seller Financing Deals, four with 0% down

Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Posted Apr 7 2024, 18:55

Don't overcomplicate seller financing.

In a conversation with my Mobiel Home Mover, I told him I got another Manufactured Home Community under contract with seller financing and 0% down. He replied, "I don't know how you keep finding sellers willing to do that".

Here is the secret sauce, know and understand the seller's motivation, ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for the terms you want.

It is more common in medium-sized multifamily where it is a business but not large enough to be professionally managed. The owners are feeling pain from their property it could be the children who inherited the property, poor management leading to deferred maintenance, vacancies, and many other inefficiencies.

Most owners in this spot are looking for a way to end the pain they are feeling and many will take a path that solves their problems and gives them something in return to justify the sale. I have never bought a property for nothing but I was able to get many many communities with nothing down and great seller financing terms.

Listen to the seller, find out what their motivation is, their pain point then present them with a solution and see where it goes, when the terms make sense have the guts to move forward.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 7 2024, 19:51

So you are buying without writing a check of any kind other than maybe Earnest money.

Zero down- no cash kicker- great job- impressive.

Are you assuming any loans; or are you letting them continue to pay any loans they have on it and you just pay them?

You are going to become the Utah trailer king.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Apr 8 2024, 08:54
Quote from @Scott Mac:

So you are buying without writing a check of any kind other than maybe Earnest money.

Are you assuming any loans; or are you letting them continue to pay any loans they have on it and you just pay them?

Good Luck!

It's even better, in this case, I will be walking away with a check for about have the month's rent and deposits.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Apr 8 2024, 08:55
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Good Luck!

I am having them continue paying their underlying loans in some cases. We are going to own 50 communities over the next few years and now with 9 it is starting to look really real!

User Stats

Votes
Zane Lyons
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 11 2024, 09:49

You're a legend man! I remember talking with you briefly back in 2021, awesome to see how things have turned out. UT prices have locked me out a bit, but I probably just need to find more creative deals. Appreciate the motivation.

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Apr 11 2024, 11:05
Quote from @Zane Lyons:

You're a legend man! I remember talking with you briefly back in 2021, awesome to see how things have turned out. UT prices have locked me out a bit, but I probably just need to find more creative deals. Appreciate the motivation.

It is all about creative finance and solving the seller's problem.

At one time I was looking out of state and I had to ask myself, "Am I buying in cheaper markets because they are better or just cheaper?"

I realized that I was pursuing other markets because a home for $50,000 was appealing but not because it was a better market. This little nugget made me millions when COVID boomed and Utah outperformed every market besides Boise. 

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#1 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Apr 14 2024, 06:44
Quote from @Logan M.:

Don't overcomplicate seller financing.

In a conversation with my Mobiel Home Mover, I told him I got another Manufactured Home Community under contract with seller financing and 0% down. He replied, "I don't know how you keep finding sellers willing to do that".

Here is the secret sauce, know and understand the seller's motivation, ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for the terms you want.

It is more common in medium-sized multifamily where it is a business but not large enough to be professionally managed. The owners are feeling pain from their property it could be the children who inherited the property, poor management leading to deferred maintenance, vacancies, and many other inefficiencies.

Most owners in this spot are looking for a way to end the pain they are feeling and many will take a path that solves their problems and gives them something in return to justify the sale. I have never bought a property for nothing but I was able to get many many communities with nothing down and great seller financing terms.

Listen to the seller, find out what their motivation is, their pain point then present them with a solution and see where it goes, when the terms make sense have the guts to move forward.

I can not understand why you’ve gotten so few votes (1) besides mine.  This post is worth AT LEAST 50 votes! You provide a basic outline of a plan most investors can use to create a 7 or 8 figure net worth.  Don’t BPers recognize this?