Syndications & Passive Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Durgin
Votes |
Starting a Undergrad College Real Estate Fund -- What should I know

Gregory Durgin
Posted Apr 18 2024, 08:05

Background: I am an undergraduate student starting a real estate fund with $100,000 pledged from the Administration.

As mentioned above I am starting a real estate investing club on my college campus with a good chunk of change from Administration. Our plan is for the club to act as a limited partner in real estate deals and to teach students about investing. The other founder and I have corporate real estate experience (Commercial Real Estate IB and real estate PE internships) but are not experts. We have a few mentors who are alumni operating smaller GPs who could provide deal flow and hopefully mentorship as well).

What should I be considering that I may not be? (I.e. Legal implications, etc etc)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 18 2024, 16:23
Quote from @Gregory Durgin:

Background: I am an undergraduate student starting a real estate fund with $100,000 pledged from the Administration.

As mentioned above I am starting a real estate investing club on my college campus with a good chunk of change from Administration. Our plan is for the club to act as a limited partner in real estate deals and to teach students about investing. The other founder and I have corporate real estate experience (Commercial Real Estate IB and real estate PE internships) but are not experts. We have a few mentors who are alumni operating smaller GPs who could provide deal flow and hopefully mentorship as well).

What should I be considering that I may not be? (I.e. Legal implications, etc etc)

Gregory

Lots to consider and happy to jump on a call to discuss.

There is a ton of legal implications to consider, especially if the funds from administration are from individuals (and more than 1). You will need to know if they are accredited, not accredited... Determine the type of offering etc., what are you investing in, what if you do not raise any money, what happens.... Tons to consider that one BP post could not answer.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Durgin
Votes |
Replied Apr 18 2024, 22:15

Hello,

I would love to connect. I sent over some times and my email to your personal

I am looking forward to learning more,

Greg

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes