Skip to content
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hart
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
How to assign a contract to a buyer with conventional financing?

Daniel Hart
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Sep 6 2008, 07:28

I have a property under contract, but I don't want to limit myself to buyers with cash and hard money.

Here's what I can think of:

-Traditional assignment: I am hearing that lenders won't allow contract assignments, probably since the contract is not in their buyers name.

-Double closing: Would I have to sign a 2nd contract with my end buyer? Would the bank question why the names on title and the contract differ?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Cummins
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Katy, TX
Replied Sep 6 2008, 08:35

It is very hard to wholesale a house to conventional buyers, especially in this market.

1. Many conventional lenders will not allow it to happen with an assignment.

2. Even if you double close, some conventional lenders have a seasoning requirement, so when you double close you will not meet those requirements.

I tend to stay away from conventional financing for that reason. Stick to cash or hard money buyers in my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hart
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 6 2008, 09:29

Thanks, I appreciate the information!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Priscilla Z.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Palm Bay, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Palm Bay, FL
Replied Jun 24 2014, 09:06

How about filing a memorandum of purchase, with your purchase contract at your county clerk of courts. This will cloud the title and keep you in control.

Then have the buyer and seller go into contract directly at your sale price (to your end buyer), in the addendum write that the seller will pay you $xx to release your interest in the property.  Obviously your seller will know what you are making at this point. Then the seller will pay you at closing.

I didn't come up with this....I've been researching how to do this and read an article that says to do it this way. Makes sense to me. Has anyone done this successfully?

User Stats

Votes
Priscilla Z.
Pro Member
  • Palm Bay, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Palm Bay, FL
Replied Jun 24 2014, 09:09

hahaha! This thread is from almost six years ago...sorry to reply here. Thought I saw June 2014 somewhere!