Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Simpkins
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Taxes for Rent by the Room House Hack (Can I take a PAL?)

Brendan Simpkins
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Mar 29 2024, 17:03

Hi All,

I purchased my first house hack last May. It's a 3BR house and I rent out the 2 spare bedrooms. I understand for tax purposes that I can only take two-thirds of the expenses related to the house to offset the rental income. After this adjustment, the expenses are still greater than the rental income (it's producing a loss).

What I'm unclear on is if I can apply the loss as a Passive Activity Loss deduction against my W-2 income (I'm under the MAGI limit). I know I would be able to do this for a standard rental property. However, my CPA is telling me that since I live in the house, it doesn't qualify for this deduction. 

Doesn't seem right to me, but I can't find any definitive information anywhere else online. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!     

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Apr 1 2024, 15:57

Hmmm. Maybe ask investors in your area who they are using for their CPAs. Then ask one of those CPAs for a second opinion. 

If you do not qualify as a real estate professional I don't think you can deduct losses against your w-2 income. I believe you can carry those loses forward to next year though. 

I'll DM you a blog I did on other great tax strategies I've used for my house hacks in Colorado Springs. 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sonny Christopher
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Apr 10 2024, 08:46

@Brendan Simpkins I am local to Nashville and happy to refer you to the CPA I use along with a couple others in town! 

My 2 cents would be that since it is your personal property that your CPA is right but im far from a tax professional!

Sonny

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nampa, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nampa, ID
Replied Apr 12 2024, 07:57

I had this same conversation with my CPA.  Your CPA is correct.  I charge my BF rent to live in the house.  Since the house was already going to be a rental when we moved to the next, I decided to claim rent, depreciate it, and expenses.  

BS Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andreas Mueller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Apr 19 2024, 07:37

Nothing to add to tax side. Just want to say great strategy! had 2 clients buy places to House Hack and rent by the room. Good on ya!