• Real Estate Investor
  • Harvey, IL
Votes |
Todd Dotson Tactical real estate

Marcus Perkerson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Harvey, IL
Posted Mar 6 2011, 06:44

I was wondering if anyone had and knowledge of the quality of instruction provided by Todd Dotson of the company Tactical Real Estate. His company provides the trainers for EWI and Ron Legrand. If anyone has any opinions on the quality of instruction provided in either bootcamps or mentoring I'd appreciate your sending them. Thank you in advance for any information provided.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:02

Thanks, just wondered if "they" would explain.

It's not about being new here, it's about not being known. Welcome to BP! But how do we know that several new posters are not working together to advance some system? We don't and there are many ways to get paid to do so. Not about being new, it's more about not being known.

Okay, I'm done, unless the nitty gritty comes out.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:21
Originally posted by Marcus Perkerson:
... I am looking into doing wholesaling. But I need a way to find buyers. ...

Read my post prior to this one, where I inserted two links. The second link there is a compilation of many different postings from a variety of BP members on how they find their buyers. Question answered thoroughly by BP IMO.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:23

Again I am not new and have been a BP member longer than everyone who is posting...I am not going to go into detail of what he teaches out of respect for him and those who invested in their education...I will tell you that I have been investing for over 7 years and I continue to educate myself both with free info and paid seminars...as a Christian I would never put people in a position of taking or wasting money...again it is the system and the support...what he teaches is no money or credit transactions of all types SFR, Commercial etc...if you want to know what he teaches call his 800# how many systems do you know that you can talk directly with the owner? Also financexminar you have not answered what qualifies you as a coach and if you charge or not...like I said look me up watch the interviews feel free to call me....I am a real investor doing real deals and I am not afraid of giving credit where credit is due...

User Stats

Votes
Scott H.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:24

Here are my brother's remarks concerning the Todd Dotson training he was sold:

"I liked the training we went to in TX. The Mentor training in Los Angeles was just alright.

Specifically, I liked that once we got to TX, there was no more up-selling. We had bought the Big Kahuna pkg already.

I liked how it was based in real world experience.

I did NOT like how inefficient the strategies were to produce motivated seller leads. I found Virtual Wholesaling (.com) to be much more up my alley - using direct mail postcards and voicemail boxes instead of driving around neighborhoods and posting bandit signs."

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:50

Marcus, you do not need a list to do that. A few hours at the court house and you can find investors who buy and flip. They will have closed ona property and then that name will pop up as the grantor a couple months or so later.

Realtors know who they are.

Call your local Homebuilders Association, rehabbers might be members.

You could spend a couple hours at Lowes and probably meet them, ask the guys that look like they are actually working!

Look for properties just listed that say newly renovated or similar ads. They are trying to retail them.

And, REI clubs.

Meet the buyers, see what they are looking for and what they buy and how they buy. They can't find all the deals nor can they buy them all!

Just some quick thoughts, you don't need a system or list, IMO. I have done them for years and never used a list. As for systems, you'll miss alot of deals if you only learn systems, learn how tto finance them, value the deal and estmate the work.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 04:53

Yes I am familiar with Cris Chico's stuff..and yes it is good, but if you do not have the monthly marketing budget for realquest.com, direct mail postcards of about $100-500 per month and a voicemail subscription budget for the system it will fall real short...Todd's system is work..no doubt about it...but you will get paid..he teaches you how to do this business on a shoe string budget...again, it is not just the system but the support behind the system...you have direct access to Todd, can your brother say he has ever spoken to Cris? also, the other memebers are there for you in support...plus virtual wholsaling does not teach you how to find private money lenders without violating SEC laws...so you can go on to do bigger and better things...also it does not teach you how to aquire cash flowing properties with no money or credit...again that system is incomplete...with Todd there is no upsell...you get it all with one shot...

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 05:02

There are easier ways then hanging out at the court house or lowe's...I look at it like this...regardless of the cost of any program if you can glean one nugget that makes you $5-6k on a consistant basis that you can put in your tool belt then it is worth it...hanging out at the court house, lowe's or home depot is an old school way of doing things....like I said he will teach you how to take down deals without financing or having to estimate out the work...Todd taught me to take a house that was upside down on equity and make money with it...like I said it is not just the system it is the support, comardship, and partners who are doing what you are doing and you know are doing deals because we all show our checks...just saying..IMO...any investment you make in yourself is worth it if you put it to use...you don't need anyone to tell you or justify your decesion...your gut told you it was a good thing stick with that....IMO

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 05:04

Joseph, sorry I missed you question about my qualifications. Might start with my profile, I have disclosed much of my experience, but not all of it. If you think I'm not qualified or that someone is better qualified, please let me know, I'd be happy to talk about myself (LOL) Thanks, Bill

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 05:08

And you charge how much to coach?

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 05:24

So far........FREE!

You see, I made money, I'm paying it back because I enjoy it! Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 05:30

So far....indeed...blessings on your continued success

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Mar 8 2011, 06:22
Originally posted by Financexaminer:
So far........FREE!

You can add me to the FREE category as well...

And several hundred other successful investors who contribute to this forum are of the FREE variety as well...

Joseph -

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that this guru could teach you have to make money on a "shoestring budget." How much does the training cost?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 06:28

Well, not "so far" as I intend to charge, because I won't be. Don't need to. Also, I do not partner with others here and rarely partner anymore at all, again, don't need to.

I saw where have not posted for about a year, so I don't think you can claim to be an old hand here on BP, but that's not important, as I pointed out the posts above are unknown regardless how long they have been lurking.

I'm certainly not a techie, anyone here will tell you that, but simple tried and true old methods work every time. I can probably find a deal faster in Lowes than most techies can find one, here is the reason I say that;

Gurus teach systems, ways to do a deal and very little about real estate basics and how to solve problems.

Guess you didn't have a question abount my qualifications, but I have been lucky to have had opportunities to acquire a very broad and deep knowledge withing the real estate industry, Instead of me looking for a deal that fits a strategy, I can identify a problem and solve it.
The guy at Lowes could tell me he'd like to buy a property or sell a property or finance one or get his sister out of foreclosure or buy a partnership in an apratment building and I can solve the problem. Some guy has 40 acres, I can take him into a subdivision, rezone a residence to retail and flipit without touching the property.

I visited your profile Joseph and I won't ask you how qualified you are, but I can tell you that if you study systems you are missing deals.

The mistake newbies make is getting started in systems and guru programs because they are in a hurry (I guess) to make a buck. But only in a few weeks of starting out at the ground level they could grasp the big picture and understand how opportunities present themselves or are made from something that most others don't see. Guru programs don't teach problem solving as much as steps with standardized constraints.

Everyday it seems someone asks about how to assign a contract or where to get one and how to make it work in a system, in the end, they will spend more time and effort hitting goose eggs than if they had taken a local class for about three hundred bucks and know what to do...

Anyway, have a great day. And, BTW, San Antonio is one of my favorite cities! I like the Roman Orgy (dinner) at the Magic Time Machine!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 8 2011, 06:34
Originally posted by J Scott:

Joseph -

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that this guru could teach you have to make money on a "shoestring budget." How much does the training cost?

It seems to cost enough that afterward the student must make do on a "shoestring budget" :lol:

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 8 2011, 07:06

Hope they have enough to file the Notice of Option!

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Mar 8 2011, 07:32
Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
Originally posted by J Scott:

Joseph -

It seems to cost enough that afterward the student must make do on a "shoestring budget" :lol:

Yup, that was my point...

If someone has the choice between spending $10K on training or actually doing a deal where the worst case scenario is losing $10K, my guess is that they'll learn more doing the deal...

Oh, and they also may make money instead of losing it, whereas with the training the money is gone...

User Stats

Votes
Scott H.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 8 2011, 07:47
Originally posted by Financexaminer:

Anyway, have a great day. And, BTW, San Antonio is one of my favorite cities! I like the Roman Orgy (dinner) at the Magic Time Machine!

Sounds exotic!

Thanks J Scott and Financexaminer for your time and posts on BP!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 07:54

Like I said it is not so much a system as it is a systamatic approach to problem solving and being creative as well as a strong support system. Seriously, i may not have posted in a year because I have been busy doing other things. J Scott as an investor you know as well as I do that more is at stake then losing $10k...not saying the training costs that much. Again, I spend more time doing other things on other sites then on biggerpockets...I network mostly on social media mediums...I don't visit the blogs here because through Todd I stay current and up to date and learn new ways around problems. You guys are all stuck on systems and guru talk...seriously, it is obvious that some of you have been burnt and that is fine...don't be bitter, and don't pretend to have learned everything from BP it has not been around that long and the blogs have not been that developed as long and for bill "financexmainer" starting in the 70's things was a lot easier then...the fact is a quality mentor is priceless. I am a firm believer in investing in my education....you may poke fun...I will take the high road and stand by my experience. Again like I said as far as experience goes I have plenty, 3 TV interviews, a few radio shows and...never mind...I do not need to flaunt credentials. I am secure in who and what I do...again be blessed in your business.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Mar 8 2011, 08:29
Originally posted by Joseph Irons:
J Scott as an investor you know as well as I do that more is at stake then losing $10k...

I completely disagree...and I have my own story to back me up...

I started with absolutely no real estate knowledge, and without taking any courses, seminars, or expensive trainings, I did my first rehab after about 6 months of intensive study and learning my market. On that first project, I over-estimated my selling price (ARV), under-estimated my rehab costs, under-estimated my holding costs, and made about every newbie mistake you can imagine. But, I ultimately still made (a little bit of) money on the deal.

And I can promise I learned an infinite amount more on that first deal than ANYONE learns in ANY training. That first deal was the equivalent of every training I could ever take and more, and not only did it not cost a dime, but I actually made money.

For anyone who has the motivation, intelligence and discipline to spend a few months reading everything they can get their hands on, talking to other investors, attending REIA meetings, etc, there is absolutely no reason why they should be putting any substantial amount of money at risk doing their first deal.

Especially if you're doing wholesaling or sub2, in which case, you should be able to attempt your first deal with nothing but a few bucks for marketing.

Of course, gurus want you to believe that if you don't take their courses, you're doomed to lose tens of thousands of dollars, so the $10K you spend on the course is money well spent.

Well, if you want to believe that BS, feel free. But, after just 2 years in this business, 28 flips (23 SFHs and 5 MHs) and about $500K in net earnings under my belt, I'm living proof that you don't need to spend money to learn this business.

There's no charge for that advice, btw...

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Irons
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 8 2011, 09:42

Hmmmm...$18,000 a flip nice...are these fix and flips or assignments? if they are fix and flips how are you getting around being labeled a dealer by the IRS and paying 35% forever in taxes...you do know once labeled it does not go away even when you get out of business? Looking for more free advice....

The more at stake is messing up on the contract especially trying to wholesale and potentially being sued for specific performance, and oh yeah the tax implications of certain strategies like rehabbing 28 properties and running the risk of being labeled a dealer...

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Hancock#4 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Jul 7 2011, 18:47

We interviewed Todd Dotson on a call tonight and I was very impressed with his commentary. I can't say much about his program, but he is definitely knowledgeable and non-guru from what I heard this evening.

My two cents...

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Wood
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hilton Head Island, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hilton Head Island, SC
Replied Feb 10 2015, 13:58
Originally posted by @Jerry Wood:
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Nov 13 2015, 05:48

You are always going to find people who say "the training doesn't work." 

I can't speak for other guys, but my experience with Todd's training is that the training doesn't work because the people who took it don't work.  Here's what I mean by that...

I took training from Todd at the same time as another guy I got to know who was in a neighboring city less than an hour away AND in a much bigger market with what you would think would be a lot more opportunity.

About 2 months after we both took the training, he called me and asked me, almost chiding me, if anything had amounted to the training we both took.  I told him I was closing on a deal that week and getting a payday. 

He sounded shocked and asked me what I did to make it work.  My response was to turn to a specific page in the manual we got at the training (I can't remember which one now).  I told him to start at the top of the page and follow what was written there line-by-line, step-by-step for the next three pages.  He guffawed.  My response was that I was serious.  I then asked him if he had tried that.

His response was something like "well, I thought I would just try this, and do something a little different from that..."  In other words, he had just spent good money to attend training where he was given a recipe to get paid, all he had to do was follow the recipe, and he wouldn't do it.  

He heard from me that it worked.  He still wouldn't do it.  He's no longer in the business.

You ask him, he'll probably bad mouth the training.  Was it the training's fault?  You be the judge.

I've done hundreds of deals that have paid me well off Todd's training, all because I was stupid enough to follow it to the letter.

(BTW, Todd is on his own now, I think.  He broke off from the now defunct EWI and Ron LeGrand.)

User Stats

Votes
Erin Elam
  • Little Elm, TX
Votes |
  • Little Elm, TX
Replied Dec 15 2017, 10:47
Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

So far........FREE!

I came across the post because Todd Dotson is having a local Meetup .... the summary sounded like he was going to sell something at the meeting. So I came to see what BP thought about him, because BP keeps it real. 

I've always been leery of investors who claim to have made lots of money but then turn around and charge thousands to others. I get that these 'gurus' went through some bumps but honestly if they are now making hundreds of thousands or millions then they are making plenty of money and just sound greedy to me.

@Bill Gulley I applaud you for giving back. I'm headed to your website now. 

@J Scott I have purchased a couple of your books and enjoyed the read. I found your website first and enjoyed the stories.