Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Khan Hosey
Votes |
Insuring a house hack

Khan Hosey
Posted Apr 27 2024, 08:24

First time home buyer looking to us fha to buy a duplex and house hack. My question is, since I can't put the property under an LLC, how can I protect my self from being sued by a tenant in a property that's under my name!! Thanks love the community!!!

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Apr 27 2024, 10:16

Life lesson:  anyone can sue someone at any time, for any, or even no reason.  You can camouflage the target on your back a bit by holding the title in a living trust.  But that's no guarantee.

And, you can follow all good screening procedures, professionally run your business, and don't get too cozy with your neighbor/tenant.

After that, roll the dice.  Just don't worry about it--do the right things at the right times and you'll likely be fine.

Keep investing and moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Apr 27 2024, 10:59

PS:  Think about an umbrella insurance policy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Apr 27 2024, 11:05

A PM with proper insurance to protect you on the operations Side. Decent property insurance and an umbrella if your net worth exceeds $500k. You are 10 X more likely to be sued for something you do than your property does. In which case an LLC wouldn't help anyway.

There have been at least 10 requests over the years for examples of people being sued and their LLC saved them. I don't think there's ever been one response. Even a request for people being successfully sued is unlikely to get a result, especially one that exceeded regular insurance coverage.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 27 2024, 22:02

@Khan Hosey Umbrella policy. At least $1MM.