Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Samir Shah
Votes |
How bad is the crime in Albuquerque?

Samir Shah
Posted Mar 18 2024, 22:03

I'm a new investor looking for a STR/MT property in Albuquerque. Specifically, in the Quigley Park/Uptown/Snow Heights area. Definitely looking to stay away from the war zone and above the 40. But after examining various crime reports, I'm skeptical to move forward. I'm seeing that property crime is pretty high and since I'm an out of state investor, I would have a hard time keeping an eye on the ground besides cleaners/handymen between stays.

From the opinion of you all who live or invest near the Uptown area, is the crime really that bad? What do you all think?

User Stats

Votes
Jan Fensterer
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Mar 19 2024, 06:49

Hi Samir,

I have lived in Albuquerque since I was a child in 1979. I am currently a Realtor/Investor as well. You will find crime everywhere. Of course, like in other cities....there are pockets. We just came back from Phoenix yesterday and there was a noted difference in the amount of homeless in Paradise Valley. Feel free to call me if you want to dig a little deeper into some stats. BTW, I am also, a Long Term, Mid-Term and AirBNB Investor. I also have those contacts  for the upkeep of those properties. Fell free to give a ring if you wish- I will just give you the facts, no pressure.

Realty 1 of New Mexico Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 19 2024, 08:53

Speaking anecdotally only here:

when I spent some time in ABQ, I walked away loving the climate and desert mountain scenery, and feeling the a good majority of the city was sketchy. 

Does sketchy mean “unsafe? Not necessarily but I felt as though I didn’t need to spend more time there personally. I did see quite a few gas stations with bars and what not.

I have no doubt there are beautiful, wealthy, safe parts of the city, but I found them few and far between on my trip

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jan Fensterer
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Mar 21 2024, 16:10

Sam-

Check out the listing I sent you- The Listing price started at $259k- Ended up @ @282k- Looks like a winner for airBNB- Keep in touch

Realty 1 of New Mexico Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 21 2024, 16:14

Didnt you see that documentary about the crime in ABQ?

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
William Gordon
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Apr 13 2024, 17:25

Howdy,

The City of Albuquerque has partnered with groups to map out crime data. https://www.cabq.gov/police/online-services/crime-mapping. I use this for seeing what has recently been going on.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2024, 09:53

@Samir Shah Albuquerque has it's share of big city crime, no doubt. However, we have so much to offer! I am an ABQ native but have traveled the world and lived on the east coast for 11 years. Crime is everywhere but do other cities have the weather we do, the culture, the resilience, and the untapped potential that we have in ABQ? The area you are looking at, Snow heights, is going through a change. I grew up there and currently live a few miles away. It is a great area to invest in and, as Jan mentioned, there are folks you can network with here to find reliable professionals to check on the properties for you. Brian's comment about the city having only a few beautiful, safe parts of the city is just not accurate. I would be happy to show you many lovely areas to invest in. Best of luck to you.