Skip to content
Real Estate Events & Meetups

User Stats

Votes
Jeff M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bossier City / Shreveport, LA
Votes |
Shreveport / Bossier City Investor Meetup!

Jeff M.
Posted Jun 3 2014, 15:33

30 Replies

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

Hello everyone!

Its about that time again! Come join us for some food, a few drinks and to talk about what we love. Investors of all experience are welcome! Even if you are just thinking of getting started and have yet to make the leap - come on out and ask questions!

Where: Buffalo Wild Wings at the Louisiana Boardwalk, Bossier City
When: Thursday June 12, 6pm - until

If you would kindly leave a post if you are interested so I can get an idea of how many to expect.

Keywords: Bossier City, Shreveport, Shreveport/Bossier, Shreveport/Bossier City, Texarkana, Monroe, Minden, Alexandria, Natchitoches, Louisiana, North Louisiana, Northwest Louisiana, East Texas, Ruston, Haughton, Kilgore, Longview, Marshall, Springhill, Mansfield, Homer, Vivian, Carthage

People that may be interested: @Michael Faulk @Justin Kilgore @JD Monroe @Josh Emory

User Stats

Votes
Justin Kilgore
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Jun 4 2014, 05:16

@Jeff M Thanks for setting this up again. I will be in attendance with a +1 most likely. I've already passed the information on to Jimmy and he is interested in attending too.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up to and what we have planned for the future!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Emory
  • Investor
  • Benton, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Benton, LA
Replied Jun 5 2014, 07:38

count me in. My wife is a possible also.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 6 2014, 13:06

I'm in. I have also been trying to hype this up to other investors who are not specifically associated with BP. The more the merrier. 

@Jeff M. Thanks once again for putting this together. I feel that we all can do great things if we use each other as resources. Shoot me a text this weekend. I'm off all weekend and would love for you to come see my State court project. 

@Justin Kilgore ... Looking forward to meeting up this weekend. Your really rocking it!!!!! I need to try and keep up. By the way thanks for getting Jimmy to join us.

@Josh Emory dude... put a picture up ;) Also, I have a ton of questions for you in regards to how you balance your work/personal life. 

@Thang Nguyen  @Andy Bui @Arthur Williams @Logan Boyter

@Robby Greene @Helen Hall

By the way... has anyone walked through 3268 Murphy St. Bossier City, LA 71112. 

Homepath property...

3/1

$44,900

A buddy of mine sold a property around the corner for $120,000 rehabbed. 

Could probably get $850-$950 a month rent.

I walked exterior and it needs foundation work, gut rotted wood...Has new Air condenser (Lennox) Back patio needs to be torn down. 

My estimate would be $25,000 rehab... but I've never done slab foundation repair. Just curious. 

MF

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 6 2014, 16:05

I would love to be there, but as of now, I will be out of town for work from the 9th to the 14th

So instead of going, I will give you a quick update on my status:

Since the last meetup, I decided to take action. Jimmy helped me put in an owner occupant bid on a single family HUD home. It was listed at 70k and needs 15k-20k in rehab. The comps in the neighborhood are at about 110k and should rent for $950. I haven't heard anything yet but expect to hear something by Monday.

Financing will be FHA loan 3.5% down @ 4% interest. I hope at 65k. My intent is to make this my primary residences until I get orders, then do a cash out refinance.

Also, I have been looking into Portcity Reality as property management option. The main reason I decided to look at them is they charge 10% plus 50% of the third months rent, instead of 50% of the first months rent.

Sorry I cant make it, but I hope you guys have a great time!

JD 

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 6 2014, 20:09

@Michael Faulk 

That house is down the street and around the corner from my kids day care provider's house. I will be over that way tomorrow, I will see if I can check it out.

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 6 2014, 20:13

I think the price just dropped today realtor.com has it at $39950

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 7 2014, 05:51

JD... Awesome! Keep us posted on the status of your offer. I wish you the best of luck

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Jun 10 2014, 08:53

@Michael Faulk

My cousin and I went to the 3268 Murphy location. "Oh my god..." is the only thing I've got to say about that house. I believe that big tree that is literally inches from the back patio is the current tenant. (It and its roots.)

User Stats

Votes
Jeff M.
Votes |
Replied Jun 10 2014, 09:55

@JD Monroe  gratz man!

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 11 2014, 17:25

I received a text from Jimmy this morning. My bid was accepted for 62k, 3k less than what I thought it would go for and 8k under what I planed for in my spread sheet. Now we just have to sign the paperwork, but I am in San Antonio, TX for work. So, we're going to try to do it over email or fax.

Right now I have rehab on the brain and find it hard to focus on anything else. Are there any steps I need to worry about now before the paperwork is signed???

@Michael Faulk 

In another post you told @Jeff Lee he should get a CPA and that you used one. Do you use one from the local area? Would you recommend them? If so, Could you email or post the contact info for him/her?

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 11 2014, 17:28

@Justin Kilgore 

How is your new house coming? Did you start your rehab yet? have you had any problems?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff M.
Votes |
Replied Jun 12 2014, 06:36

@JD Monroe thats awesome! you sir are doing it! Keep us updated and let me know when I can come check your project out!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 08:27

Hey guys... I gotta swap out a hot water heater when I get off of work at 5pm. Probably going to be late to the meet up. There will be a new guy coming tonight. His name is Bobby Gill and he is a CPA and one of my friends. He owns some real estate and is interested in REI.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 08:37

JD- Congrats! Your in great hands with Jimmy just follow his lead. On the financing side-double check every thing.

Jeff Lee- This is where you need to switch your outlook. That big tree represents money to me! It scares a lot of people off so it lessens your competition which equates to you being able to negotiate a better deal. That house is money in my opinion! It needs work don't get me wrong but... just think of the arv! A buddy of mine sold one of his slips two streets away for 120k. That's a huge spread even if you put 30k in rehab!  That tree just needs a chainsaw taken to it! 

That's just me though... 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 08:38

Fix/Flips not slips... hehe

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 08:41

I use Arnie Castillano-I butchered his name. He is on Mansfield Rd next to Home Federal.  

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 08:57

@Michael Faulk How long do you think rehab on the Murphy house would take? I wouldn't want to my first rent house to take a medium-long time to get up and running.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 09:34

I'm typing up a list of questions. There's gonna be a lot. I hope I don't scare off anyone.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 09:35

I agree it is not right for a new investor. But my intentions were to show you the possiblities of an old dog like Murphy. 

Timeline: If you had all financing in order , all contractors lined up and the project was well managed.  I would say 6-8 weeks that is if everything went smoothly.  Keep in mind I've just done a quick once over on the property-havent been inside and I am basing this off of the current duplex I'm rehabbing and the previous 2 SFRs I' ve completed over the last 18 months. The big question in my book would be foundation because I've never repaired a slab. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 20:08

Great meet up tonight!  Shreveport/Bossier.... you really need to join us because we are moving to the next level! So much great information shared tonight!  So many great people showed up. Can't say enough... Looking forward to next month. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 12 2014, 20:09

JD.... you missed a good one! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 13 2014, 08:31

Guys let's try to get @Pat Burch to attend our next meet up. He is closing on SFR #6 today. Wish him the best of luck.

Also... @Louis Fourquet ... I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say:  We are so very glad you came out last night and look forward for you to come to future meet ups!  We can gain tons of valuable information from you :)

@Jeff Lee  @Justin Kilgore @Josh Emory 

Hopefully we can get Bobby Gill and Jimmy Stewart to join BP 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 13 2014, 08:32

@Louis 

@Louis Fourquet undefined

User Stats

Votes
JD Monroe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Replied Jun 13 2014, 12:52

@Michael Faulk 

@Jeff M. 

Have you received the SB REIA info for this month? i.e. who is speaking and/or what is the topic. I gave them my email info at the last meeting but haven't heard anything from them yet.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 13 2014, 15:49

JD... This Monday night is the meeting. The topic is "Section 8" or Housing Choice Voucher program. I'll send a link to your personal email.