J. Martin
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Apr 15 2014, 22:53
This event is brought to you by:

182 Replies

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

Please come welcome our special guests,
Bigger Pockets Founder & CEO @Joshua Dorkin and
Senior Editor & Community Director @Brandon Turner
f
or a fun night of BP Real Estate networking at this special SF meetup!The venue can fit over 100 guests, and everyone is welcome, so come say hello to your fellow BP members and RE investors, along with two key people who make this community happen!

What: BP Bay Area Master Meetup - SF
When: Friday, April 25, 2014, 5:30PM-9:00PM; Late night 9:05PM - ?
Where: Speakeasy Brewery (Brewhouse room)
1195 Evans Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124
Cesar Chavez exit off of 280 in SE corner of SF
Cost: Free; Bring cash for food and drink
Parking: Free in parking lot at venue, and free street parking for overflow
Food & Drink: Lots of Speakeasy Beers, and Mexican Food

Please RSVP by posting below, so I know how many are coming, and post a little about yourself below, tag others, etc, so you can make some connections before the meetup. I am scheduling this meetup in place of the monthly “East Bay Meetup” so we can have a venue where more BP members can join us, and we can hear each other better.

After 9PM, remaining after-hours folks will most likely be moving a few-minute drive away to Dogpatch Saloon, at 2496 3rd St, SF, 94107. Please check back on this posting the night before the meetup in case there are any unexpected changes.. but the meetup will be on! Thanks to Josh and Brandon for organizing the great community, and coming to say hello at the meetup! Also, special thanks to @Jaren Barnes for initiating our guests’ visit to the monthly BP meetup!

Hope to see lots of you there!
Best,
J Martin

User Stats

Votes
David Sanchez
  • Clayton, CA
Votes |
  • Clayton, CA
Replied Apr 25 2014, 14:37
Originally posted by @John D.:
Just happened on this post, and I happen to be in SF. Excited to meet some of you.

In / Out of State? I invest CA in Nevada, Yuba, and Placer counties (2-3 hours from SF)

Strategy? I am buying single family residences on acreage, as well as acreage, and renting these properties. I target $1500+ per month in rent for every $100k+ in purchase price, and am often doing better then that.

Type of properties? Singe-family homes on 2+ acres in Nevada, Yuba and Placer counties. My tenants prefer 10-20+ acres ideally.

Looking for? I am looking for wholesalers. Also hard-money lenders.

Can offer / knowledgeable about?
Well capitalized and aggressively purchasing.

$1500 in rent for every $100k purchase? Damn, let's chat tonight man! :-)

What do tenants do with so much land? Livestock?

See you later,

-David

User Stats

Votes
Kristian Widjaja
  • Union City, CA
Votes |
  • Union City, CA
Replied Apr 25 2014, 16:48

Will be there. Hopefully parking is easy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Thad Miller
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Replied Apr 25 2014, 22:33

my SUV was broken into at the meetup. Was I the only lucky one?

User Stats

Votes
Johnson H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 25 2014, 22:50

@J. Martin - Great job on the meetup J! I wish I had more time to get around to everyone. Thanks for getting it together!

@Thad Miller - Sorry to hear that! My car was fine and it was parked on the street.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan M.
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 00:25
Originally posted by @Thad Miller:
my SUV was broken into at the meetup. Was I the only lucky one?

My car was also broken into.

User Stats

Votes
Yuliany W.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 00:28

oh no! @Thad Miller and @Dylan M. did you guys park on the parking lot or the street? So sorry to hear that.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan M.
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 00:35

@Yuliany W. , I parked on the street just around the corner.

User Stats

Votes
Thad Miller
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 10:41

@Dylan M. I was also on the street. The brewery employee/mngr said it happens at least 3 times per week. He wanted me to file a police report, so I did. Maybe someone should do a sting operation if the cops or brewery cant do their job.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan M.
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 11:07

@Thad Miller , 3 times a week? That's a lot. Too bad they didn't warn us.

User Stats

Votes
Erik K.
  • Realtor
  • McLean, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • McLean, VA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 11:07

This was such an awesome networking event. Thank you @J. Martin for setting this up!

It was great to meet Josh and Brandon. Looking forward to the next BP Summit.

User Stats

Votes
Joan C.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 11:29

Sorry to hear what happened to @Thad Miller and @Dylan M.

It was great meetup, thanks for J Martin, Jaren for inviting Josh and Brandon, lots of fun.

User Stats

Votes
Amit M.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 12:07

that get together was a kick!

So how was the after hours at the dogpatch saloon? Did many people come by? I had to get back home...

User Stats

Votes
Peter K.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 13:12

Sorry to hear about the cars.

Great meetup! Thanks again for organizing it J. Glad I got a channce to meet Josh and Brandon and many of the local fellow investors. Had some great conversations at the Dogpatch Saloon with @claire @Andrew N. A little disappointed that Brandon didn't fight anyone but no meetup is perfect.

Definitely looking forward to the next mext meet-ups in the city and east bay. Stay tuned for upcoming info for a South Bay meet up. I'm going to organize something local in the next few weeks.

Peter

User Stats

Votes
Pete Tam
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Apr 26 2014, 13:28

@Amit M. Oh did you come to meetup? I couldn't see you.

@Peter K. It was nice talking to you but unfortunately, it was almost 9ish and we got kicked out. Thanks @J. Martin and Brandon.

Finally, got a chance to talk with many of you.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 26 2014, 19:49

Thanks for the great event, guys. I'm really sorry to hear about the car break ins -- that sucks. Keep getting together folks and if you're one of the people I spoke with that told me that you're a lurker here on the site -- take a sec and jump in. As I've said many times, it is well worth your effort.

To everyone who shared their stories to me -- I really appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#1 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#1 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 26 2014, 19:57

Awesome meet-up everyone! (Sorry @Thad Miller and @Dylan M. about the break ins! That sucks!)

@Joshua Dorkin and I had a blast and was excited to see the strong community that exists in the Bay Area! Thanks for having us as guests - we look forward to doing it again someday soon!

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 26 2014, 20:15
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 22:56

J,

I agree. It was a blast. I'm so glad I went.

@Brian Burke , @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner , it was a pleasure meeting you gentlemen for the first time in person.

@Joan C. , @Account Closed

User Stats

Votes
Thad Miller
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Replied Apr 26 2014, 23:34

Thanks @Brandon Turner for the vandalism condolences. With cardboard and duct-tape I "Miller-rigged" it. @Dylan M. if I knew that night that your car also got hit, I would have hooked you up!

User Stats

Votes
Jaren Barnes
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Chicagoland
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Chicagoland
Replied Apr 27 2014, 01:55

It was a lot of fun! I think that was probably my favorite meet up venue thus far. The place was super chill!

Kudos @J Martin, you hooked it up man!

Also guys be on the look out! I'll be spearheading a southbay meetup starting next month.

I'll start a thread about it soon and I'll tag everyone I know in the surrounding San Jose area.

See you guys soon!

User Stats

Votes
Petra Ibrahim
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 07:14

It was nice to finally meet you in person @Account Closed Next time I'm hoping we'll be further away from the speaker :p

@Jaren Barnes

@Dee Cross

It was nice meeting both of you! I'm looking forward to the next meetup.

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 09:30

Thank you EVERYONE for coming out to last night’s meetup! Just like Josh Dorkin was saying about Bigger Pockets, these meetups work because of all the great people who come together! It was a pleasure meeting many of you for the first time, and seeing many more of you once again. It looked like there were over 100 investors there throughout the evening. I first saw @Troy Fisher around 5PM, and dropped off Brandon Turner around 3AM, with a lot of great conversations and ideas in between. And while this was a great networking event, it’s time to take it to the next level!!

In the absence of any announcements from BP about a big meetup this year, I plan to organize a LEFT COAST RE INVESTOR MEETUP (not BP) – I’m thinking October of this year, when the weather is extra nice in San Francisco. It will be a great opportunity to make investor connections and get funding, expand your network of real estate investors and connections, get great information, ideas, and strategies, and enjoy a great time with fun people in a place you should be coming to anyway! I would like to invite @Joshua Dorkin , @Brandon Turner , and any other BP celebs to come out (or better yet, sponsor or take over the event so you can build/solidy the left coast BP community and get more Pro members!)

It would probably be on the weekend (2 days?) – and have opportunities for individual networking, networking for just those who are looking for investors or have funding to provide, speakers on key areas like out-of-state investing, syndications/large multifamily, lease/purchase options, wholesaling, individual strategies, market updates, recent step-by-step successful deals closed (with practical strategies), getting from analysis to first deal closed, and additional informal networking opportunities in the evening at great places around the city.

This is still in the concept/early planning stage, but I plan on doing it on one scale or another, come hell or high water! If you are interested in coming, helping out with planning, sponsoring, or potentially speaking at this event, please email me! [email protected]

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 09:55

First, I would like to give a shout-out to some of the extra late-night crowd who huddled on the corner after we were thrown out of the Dogpatch Saloon just after 2AM..

@David Sanchez – Nice to meet you in person, and be able to chat more. You should hold a meetup out in Clayton at the Saloon! I’d be up for coming out there! Thanks for hanging out in the cold!

@Peter K. – It sounds like we’re on the same page on our view of the market around here. Nice to know I’m not crazy! But it’s always interesting hearing others’ point of view too.. Would have been interesting to hear Josh and Brandon talk about numbers in this area versus theirs.. If you have any specific financing questions, especially on multifamily, I usually have a pretty good feel for what’s going on.. And stay in touch with Kris Lai! It sounded like she was thrilled with your advice!

@Anna Ng , A pleasure seeing you, as always.. I’m happy this can provide a forum for all the SF investors to get together and talk about this extra-unique market – where your fellow investors understand! I always enjoy the extra-late night crowd who shuts the place down, so thanks for joining us!

@Brandon Turner , not sure if you planned on staying out late, or if I just kept you too long for the ride, but thanks for tolerating the late-night networking and being so open about your own experiences, investments, and views. I had a great time, and your and Josh's appearance definitely brought some extra folks out of the woodwork! PS. Don't let people rag on your city! Love it!

@ Andrew , congrats on all the recent responses on your campaign! And nice to see you again after a while.. Let me know how things go! Sound promising..

@Troy Fisher , I can always count on you to help close the place down. I’m still not looking out of state right now, because I like the opportunities in the EastBay still – but I think there are enough people looking for out-of-state investments to find something that works.. Thanks for the beer!

@Andrew N. undefined

Last but not least of the extra-late-night crowd, I would like to thank Ross (bday boy) who gave me a sparkler to spin around on the sidewalk with. I always have at least one fun, unique experience when I’m out late-night in SF – and usually give them a gift – so thanks for keeping SF real Ross and friends!

Everyone, please see my posting above regarding a big "Left Coast RE Investor Meetup" , and let me know who's interested!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:01

And I know I'm going to forget a million people as I go through here, but I apologize to all those I miss! I can only remember so many people off the top of my head after those tasty beers!

To some others in the late-night crowd..

@Daniel S. , nice seeing you again, and after poking around, I realized the Schedule E worksheet is one that I downloaded from a member on BP. Just search Schedule E. It doesn’t have a depreciation schedule, but send me a PM if you want me to send you my depreciation schedules I made also.. I’m thinking about switching to Quickbooks also.. Any good/quick/easy RE accounting software recommendations are appreciated!

@Purnell C. , thanks for the beer! – and sorry I couldn’t speak with you more. You were on the other side of the booth in the bar, and was a bit hard for me to hear that side.. Hope you had some great conversations! And I'll be in touch for the next meetup!

@Kris Lai , good to see you again! It’s been a while since you closed down the meetup with me in Oakland. Keep in touch with @Peter K. ,myself, and the rest of the crew! I’ll email you for the next meetup.

@Kathryn M. , pleasure seeing you again, and hopefully the vast array of different investment strategies and geographic areas in this crew give you some ideas on what you might like to look for in the future.. after you reload the cannon! Hope to see you soon at the next one..

Again sorry to anyone I missed right now! I'll update you in the future! And please everyone see my post above regarding the "Left Coast Investor Meetup" later this year!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:06

@Thad Miller , thanks to you and your wife for coming up from the central coast, and glad you two get to enjoy riding dirtbikes.. I’m jealous! I’m really sorry to hear your car got broken into. Likewise, @Dylan M.

I did NOT receive any warning about break-ins, despite calling to ask about the parking situation, parking lot, street parking, etc. I did not specifically ask about break-ins though.. I should have warned everyone that I recommend NEVER leaving anything of value in your car when leaving it parked. I had a window smashed in a parked rental car down in the financial district in SF at rush hour with everyone around, right in front of my office. Again, sorry to hear that, and I will make a note of it on the Yelp posting, to try to prevent it in the future.

There should be less risk outside of the city at my meetup in Malibu in a couple weeks, if you feel like taking a nice drive down Hwy 1 from Santa Ynez..

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/125084-malibu-meetup-week-of-sun-5-11-5-15-whos-in