Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Addendum term extensions sec 8

Posted May 3 2024, 13:15

Hi guys If a tenant signed a years lease for September and then there are issues with section 8 and they moved in a month later in October do you create an addendum that changes the entire lease term or just change the end date of the lease. Payment only began from October.

User Stats

Votes
David Bennett
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Bothell, WA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Bothell, WA
Replied May 4 2024, 14:39

What was the Section 8 issue?  Did you have to make changes in the property to be compliant with Section 8 rules? What are your Lease provisions for taking possession?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 5 2024, 09:09

Hi David they delayed the inspection a little but then there were no structual changes. And so that took a while and they signed a contract with us a few weeks later. It was our first time dealing with section 8 and so we didn't have any clause that spoke to timing of possession of property. We should have probably done an update to the lease. But do we now need the lease end date to reflect same end date as section 8 contract? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 5 2024, 19:16

Stick with the lease agreement you have filed with Section 8. What you are proposing makes perfect sense thus it's too complicated for the government and could interfere with your next rent payment. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 5 2024, 20:12

I understand Melanie the tenant is very problematic and I didn't want her to say that she didn't receive notice to vacate with enough time on the lease end date she signed. If I give her notice for October she may claim an automatic renewal and I don't want to renew. So I am trying to figure out what to do. If the 60 days should be with September in mind or October.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 6 2024, 01:31

Use the earlier lease and earlier date if you must terminate her.

Keep in mind this is a business and there's no room in business for holding grudges. If things normalize between now and then consider renewing her up to the section 8 maximum for her number of bedrooms voucher. You'll attain a higher rent and she will have stable housing. It's no small feat for these people to raise application fees, security deposits and moving expenses. They are, after all, welfare recipients. The turnover is not free for you either.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 6 2024, 09:33

Ok thank you so much! I will think about that.