Votes |
420 Smokers Applying for Rental

Caleb Sonneman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Apr 30 2024, 18:33

Hey fam! I appreciate your insights and feedback:

I have a single-family home I need to rent out long-term. I'm not getting a lot of traction with leads, and am bleeding money each month. I just had someone on FB marketplace reach out with interest. However, the profile thoroughly communicates they smoke a lot of weed. On my initial listing ad, I had nowhere mentioned it was a non-smoking residence. I have nothing against smokers personally, but do not want that smell to be imprinted on my property, long after they are gone. 

I am open to different perspectives too, if someone has had a positive experience with smokers, I am all ears!

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied May 2 2024, 09:02

If everything else looks really good and they seem like good renters all around besides the smoking, you could add an addendum into the lease stating that they must smoke outside of the property and that they would be responsible for any damage (discoloration, smells) left over as a result of the smoking. That way you are still protecting your property, and if they don't follow through with that clause, they would be violating their lease. 

Additionally, you could also consider charging a higher security deposit in the case that you have to do any extensive cleaning of the property following their move-out. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Sonneman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 3 2024, 09:09
Quote from @Alyssa Wright:

If everything else looks really good and they seem like good renters all around besides the smoking, you could add an addendum into the lease stating that they must smoke outside of the property and that they would be responsible for any damage (discoloration, smells) left over as a result of the smoking. That way you are still protecting your property, and if they don't follow through with that clause, they would be violating their lease. 

Additionally, you could also consider charging a higher security deposit in the case that you have to do any extensive cleaning of the property following their move-out. 

Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 3 2024, 09:17

Big picture - buy properties in medium to high demand locations where you don't have to stress over vacancy or this type of question.  Good luck with the placement. 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 3 2024, 19:24

@Caleb Sonneman I now let my prospective tenants that I’m not the weed police and I don’t care what they smoke but it MUST BE OUTSIDE.

I’ve got this in my lease and we follow up with our regular inspections.

I don’t just blurt this out, I wait until we’ve developed some rapport and then work it into the conversation. Weed is still not legal in my state.

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 4 2024, 14:37
Quote from @Caleb Sonneman:

I am open to different perspectives too, if someone has had a positive experience with smokers, I am all ears!

Positive experience with smokers? Sure. The second hand marijuana smoke helps calm my unicorn's nerves. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin F.
  • Investor
  • Michigan
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Michigan
Replied May 4 2024, 16:56

My college kids smoke a lot of pot inside (I believe). Probably not enough to be considered some type of smokers den although I'm not sure, I generally leave them alone. But they are for sure doing bong hits in the living room.

Anyways, I have found that weed smell comes out WAY easier than cigarettes. Usually a day with the windows open and its hard to smell it anymore. A good clean and a few hours of ozone and its totally gone.

Would I rent to someone who was super stoked on 420? No probably not they're usually pretty weird, but my calculus is different I don't have a unit sitting empty. May be worth a meeting and a conversation to sound them out.

Edit for a fun story:
I worked with this guy who was super stoked on 420, had "legalize it" stickers all over his car, wore Bob Marley shirts, stopped work every day at 4:20 to take a hit, etc. Couldn't figure out why the cops kept pulling him over for doing 1mph over the speed limit, happened all the time. One day he got arrested after they found a baggy of what he called "gummy bear sugar" and the cops called "meth". Never heard how that one ended, but had to drive over and get his car off the side of the road, then go bail him out of jail. Fun times.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 5 2024, 05:55

I rent to a lot of smokers, tobacco or otherwise. The rule is the same: no smoking/vaping of any substance inside the rental, garage, or any outbuilding. If it's an apartment, they have to smoke at least 15 feet away from all windows and doors.

I inspect regularly. If they are caught violating the rules, they are fined. Repeated offense is grounds for termination.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 5 2024, 19:28

If smoking isn't a requirement, it isn't a requirement. Reviewing someone's social media and then changing your requirements is a Fair Housing trap.