User Stats

Votes
Kevin Zheng
Votes |
Holdover Tenant in Brooklyn

Kevin Zheng
Posted Mar 20 2024, 19:06

Hi Everyone!

My parents have a condo at Brooklyn which is occupied by a holdover tenant for a few months now. My parents wants her out due to no lease nor agreement among my parents and holdover tenant. Additionally, holdover tenant is now subletting out the rooms making income and advertising it on 168.com. Please help me. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 21 2024, 05:21
Quote from @Kevin Zheng:

Hire an attorney immediately and get them out.

The tenant can tell your parents are at a loss of how to proceed, so the tenant is taking advantage of that weakness. Find a good attorney with lots of eviction experience and get this over with.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 21 2024, 07:15

Hey @Kevin Zheng - sorry to hear about this situation. 

What is your parents relationship like with the current holdover tenant? There may be ways to get them out without having to go through lengthy eviction processes. 

I work with a lot of landlord clients to help them resolve disputes with holdover tenants who are often not paying and causing issues with other tenants in the properties too...

Reach out to me direct at the number in the signature below or simply DM me thanks. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Mar 21 2024, 08:30

Kings County Housing Court is a dark and expensive place where the tenants/occupants/even squatters have more 'rights' than landlords/owners!  An experienced occupant can string the owner and system along for up to a year or longer.  

Don't do 'self-help' eviction--recently an owner was arrested for changing the locks on their property that was illegally occupied by a squatter!

All that being said, get an experienced attorney and have them file for possession ASAP, and then they can try the carrot/stick approach with this holdover:  cash for keys OR we'll proceed with the pending eviction. 

Just for fun, review the condo docs to determine if subletting is permitted.