Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Nunez
Votes |
NYC CityFHEPS Voucher Payment - Any Delays / Issues?

Jerome Nunez
Posted Mar 7 2024, 05:29

BP, 

I've got a great candidate for a tenant and they are a CityFHEPS voucher holder. I have complete confidence in their ability to pay their share of rent but my concern is with the City's portion as I have heard first-hand accounts and bad cases where the City has delayed payments, delayed processing of renewal for voucher holder (and thus payments) and lack of communication.

Are there folks here who have had a good experience with CityFHEPS and the City's ability to pay on time? 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 7 2024, 05:53

Hey I've represented commercial multifam landlords and we've never really run into issues with CityFHEPS payments. There are hiccups if the landlord hasn't completed their end of the paperwork or requirements through the online portal but nothing that was a crazy delay. 

In a lot of cases in the city, CityFHEPS and Section 8 are paying more than market value for rent :) 

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Nunez
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 06:01

Thanks for the quick response Mo! To confirm, no issues to date with the City's payments? Agreed on higher rents for the programs but want to make sure there are no huge issues with the City that will prevent payment. My biggest hurdle is resource constraints (admin / FTEs to handle renewals and payment processing) and budget cuts (which lead to more resource constraints).  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 7 2024, 08:20

Not that I'm aware of with any of my landlord clients - if there's a government shutdown that could be a possibility, but the payments will always be prorated for any missed payments.

City wouldn't intentionally delay payment once you're setup and "in the system"... they want to keep any voucher tenants housed and out of shelters. 

If the city, county, state, or even federal government is ever in a situation where they can't pay... then we have bigger problems at hand lol! 

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Nunez
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 08:22

Agreed! Thanks Mo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 28 2024, 09:41

HI Mo,

I'm new to the CityFHEPS program, but I'm pretty experienced with Section8 tenants and the process. My question is how are we able to know when our rental checks will be mailed or processed? I am not aware of an APP or system that I can confirm, only an HRA general number that has been provided. Where as with Section-8 you can pretty much monitor the process?