• Austin, TX
Votes |
What card to get at 18 years old for a young real estate investor

Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Posted Apr 25 2024, 14:43

Hey bp,

I am currently looking for my first credit card? I am aware it will have to be secured, however I’m looking for a card that has good benefits or can set me up for something bigger in the future. I was thinking about the Chase freedom unlimited card because I have heard it is a good card and I want to build a relationship with that bank. But to me since I’m going abroad next year to discover it card seems a little better because of 0% foreign transaction fee. Just leaves me with a few questions

1. How important is it to build a relationship with the bank(if I were to get Chase, I could eventually get a better chase card with more benefits)

2. How important is it that my credit card is from a company that is FDIC approved

3. Is there any other cards that you guys recommend?

* my initial credit is good because my mom put me on her card and she has extremely good credit

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#2 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 15:40

FDIC for a credit card means nothing to you. Your relationship with a CC means nothing to a bank except credit score-very different businesses.

My daughter uses her Wells card in Barcelona daily! Yes there is a Foreign Transaction fee but it is miniscule. 

I can check on her whereabouts faster with the CC than a GPS! 🤓 OK that was a joke but true. 

Can't say I have studied cards very much, please make sure you, or someone pays off the balance every month!! All the best!!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 25 2024, 16:08

What is the fee, chases is 3%
also is there any special perks that your daughter gets on her card?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 17:04

No idea about perks or fees. My daughter was leaving for Spain and needed a card, I gave her mine.

User Stats

Votes
Josh St Laurent
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 17:24
Quote from @Jake Burkons:

Hey bp,

I am currently looking for my first credit card? I am aware it will have to be secured, however I’m looking for a card that has good benefits or can set me up for something bigger in the future. I was thinking about the Chase freedom unlimited card because I have heard it is a good card and I want to build a relationship with that bank. But to me since I’m going abroad next year to discover it card seems a little better because of 0% foreign transaction fee. Just leaves me with a few questions

1. How important is it to build a relationship with the bank(if I were to get Chase, I could eventually get a better chase card with more benefits)

2. How important is it that my credit card is from a company that is FDIC approved

* my initial credit is good because my mom put me on her card and she has extremely good credit

Great questions Jake, make sure to buy your Mom a nice dinner once you get the card for adding you to her card and helping you build credit!

So a few points I want to clarify, FDIC insurance is for bank deposits and won't have anything to do with a credit card so don't worry about that terminology when you're searching.

As far as building a relationship with a bank I would say it is more important if you don't have good credit and want favorable terms, in your case with good credit it shouldn't make a world of a difference.  My focus if I were you would be on a card that enhances my lifestyle and doesn't charge me unnecessary fees.  Living abroad is a perfect example, it would be crazy to get a card that is going to charge you foreign transaction fees if your plan is to live abroad.  However, an airline card that will give you an intro bonus, has no transaction fees and can help you build points to go back and forth from home could be attractive.

There are millions of credit cards out there, the nerd in me would make a simple spreadsheet to compare them.  Look for something that is going to support your lifestyle aka will give you points in categories where you spend AND reward you with points that are useful to you.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can clarify at all

User Stats

Votes
Paul H.
  • Investor
  • Beaver, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Beaver, PA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 20:25

Hey Jake.
I’d say just go for both the Chase and Discover. Seriously. 
It gains you experience with two solid CC companies. When you travel, you can choose to use the card with the best foreign fees. 
And most importantly in my view. Credit is built very well simply through TIME. The sooner you have them in your name the better. Your credit profile needs time to grow. And credit balance will slowly increase with time. 
So. Just get both is my opinion.
As long as you’re careful and track them and pay them off : ) 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 26 2024, 11:56
Quote from @Josh St Laurent:

Hey bp,

Great questions Jake, make sure to buy your Mom a nice dinner once you get the card for adding you to her card and helping you build credit!

So a few points I want to clarify, FDIC insurance is for bank deposits and won't have anything to do with a credit card so don't worry about that terminology when you're searching.

As far as building a relationship with a bank I would say it is more important if you don't have good credit and want favorable terms, in your case with good credit it shouldn't make a world of a difference.  My focus if I were you would be on a card that enhances my lifestyle and doesn't charge me unnecessary fees.  Living abroad is a perfect example, it would be crazy to get a card that is going to charge you foreign transaction fees if your plan is to live abroad.  However, an airline card that will give you an intro bonus, has no transaction fees and can help you build points to go back and forth from home could be attractive.

There are millions of credit cards out there, the nerd in me would make a simple spreadsheet to compare them.  Look for something that is going to support your lifestyle aka will give you points in categories where you spend AND reward you with points that are useful to you.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can clarify at all

Thank you, this really helps.

I will probably go with the Discover It card because of the 0% foreign transaction fee but I will also look into other cards that are partnered with an airline as well to get travel points or hotel perks. 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 26 2024, 12:02
Quote from @Paul H.:

Hey Jake.
It gains you experience with two solid CC companies. When you travel, you can choose to use the card with the best foreign fees. 
And most importantly in my view. Credit is built very well simply through TIME. The sooner you have them in your name the better. Your credit profile needs time to grow. And credit balance will slowly increase with time. 

Would it be smart just to get a card that I barely spend on just to improve my credit? 

User Stats

Votes
Paul H.
  • Investor
  • Beaver, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Beaver, PA
Replied Apr 26 2024, 12:08
Quote from @Paul H.:

Hey Jake.

Would it be smart just to get a card that I barely spend on just to improve my credit? 

I would say yes, absolutely. 

Just having TIME is very important with credit. So even just having a couple in your name, even if you barely use them will help significantly. 3, 5, 7 years down the road it'll really help your score. As long as you're careful and NEVER miss a payment. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Weinhart
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Cincinnati OH 45209, USA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Cincinnati OH 45209, USA
Replied Apr 29 2024, 07:09

At this point with very little credit history, so long as you can remain responsible with the cards, applying for them is pretty good. Note that you can only get a chase card if you haven't applied for 5 personal credit cards in the last 24 months. You shouldn't need any secured cards if you already have a bit of history from your mom. A lot of the travel cards also don't have ForEx fees too.

Some other good cards in no particular order:

1. Capital One Savor (I believe they made this a student card)

2. Citi DoubleCash

3. Discover IT Student

4. Anything Chase IMHO

5. Amex gold if you believe the annual fee is worth it

6. Check out your local banks/credit unions to see what promotions they run. My regional bank offers a card with 1.67% cash back which is targeted towards folks without a ton of credit history.

7. A gentleman by the name of Ben Hedges on youtube is an expert on a lot of this stuff, maybe give him a watch.

Also it's important to say that while getting a credit card through a bank with FDIC insurance isn't a requirement, it says a lot about the bank itself and I don't really know of any good banks that don't have it. The ones that don't are usually more investment-related and probably wouldn't issue credit cards anyway.

User Stats

Votes
Kislay Shah
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • New York
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • New York
Replied Apr 29 2024, 19:43

Since you're just starting out, look for credit cards designed for people with limited or no credit history. These cards often have lower credit limits and may offer rewards or benefits tailored to first-time users. Additionally, consider cards with no annual fees to keep costs down.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Burkons
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 29 2024, 21:13
Quote from @Benjamin Weinhart:

At this point with very little credit history, so long as you can remain responsible with the cards, applying for them is pretty good. Note that you can only get a chase card if you haven't applied for 5 personal credit cards in the last 24 months. You shouldn't need any secured cards if you already have a bit of history from your mom. A lot of the travel cards also don't have ForEx fees too.

Some other good cards in no particular order:

1. Capital One Savor (I believe they made this a student card)

2. Citi DoubleCash

3. Discover IT Student

4. Anything Chase IMHO

5. Amex gold if you believe the annual fee is worth it

6. Check out your local banks/credit unions to see what promotions they run. My regional bank offers a card with 1.67% cash back which is targeted towards folks without a ton of credit history.

7. A gentleman by the name of Ben Hedges on youtube is an expert on a lot of this stuff, maybe give him a watch.

Also it's important to say that while getting a credit card through a bank with FDIC insurance isn't a requirement, it says a lot about the bank itself and I don't really know of any good banks that don't have it. The ones that don't are usually more investment-related and probably wouldn't issue credit cards anyway.

Thank you for the Recommendations, I will definitely take a look at Ben Hedges as well.