IRS Is F@#$ing Me. Please HELP!

Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Apr 23 2024, 20:11

G'Day folks,

I've reached out to my legal and accounting team for referrals but they had none.

The IRS is absolutely useless and we have tried dealing with them for over a year now on this matter.

At the point of just hiring and handing over to legals to deal with it

Paid off $70,000 in prior year taxes and have receipts and deposits as proof, etc...

@Dominique Osborn spent hours with them on the phone and provided receipts on numerous occasions but it's still showing as "not" paid.

Anyway, is anyone on here a tax lawyer or can anyone recommend one?

Appreciate your help

Thanks much

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Apr 23 2024, 20:19

are they giving you Zero credit for the 70k ? 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 23 2024, 20:47

@Engelo Rumora

Help? I don't think they need help. They can handle you on their own. ;)

You do not need a tax lawyer. You need someone who specializes in IRS representation and holds one of the two designations: EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA. Reach out to some EAs or CPAs on this board privately and ask if they take IRS representation cases.

BP rules prohibit us from contacting you, publicly or privately, even though you asked for help. You must find people you want to work with and initiate the conversation from your end. Then we can talk.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 23 2024, 20:52
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

are they giving you Zero credit for the 70k ? 

Like we never paid it mate.

It's "Invisible" hehe

@Dominique Osborn can elaborate in more detail.

It's a bloody joke.

No issues paying our fair share in taxes but come on... lol

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Apr 24 2024, 05:21

They only take US dollars. The system will reject your payment of Australian euros.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 24 2024, 07:57
Quote from @Michael P.:

They only take US dollars. The system will reject your payment of Australian euros.

Hahaha

Should have told me before mate 

I tried paying in Cuban Pesos and only later remembered they haven’t lifted the embargo yet lol 😂 

User Stats

Votes
Kory Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Replied Apr 25 2024, 06:58

Getting help from a TAS has definitely helped us in the past on addressing something like the IRS seeming to lose a payment and being unwilling to put the effort into finding it - nothing technically complex about your problem from what you are saying (just a lost payment), but if they aren't helping you, the TAS helps light a fire under them.  Taxpayer Advocate Services are a taxpayer funded group that are supposed to be the "watchdog" that helps taxpayers deal with these types of issues with the IRS.  Not necessarily a fast process, but I have yet to have something through them not be resolved properly.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 25 2024, 08:08
Quote from @Kory Reynolds:

Getting help from a TAS has definitely helped us in the past on addressing something like the IRS seeming to lose a payment and being unwilling to put the effort into finding it - nothing technically complex about your problem from what you are saying (just a lost payment), but if they aren't helping you, the TAS helps light a fire under them.  Taxpayer Advocate Services are a taxpayer funded group that are supposed to be the "watchdog" that helps taxpayers deal with these types of issues with the IRS.  Not necessarily a fast process, but I have yet to have something through them not be resolved properly.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/

Appreciate your reply Kory.

Thanks so much mate and have a great day

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Weinhart
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Cincinnati OH 45209, USA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
Replied Apr 25 2024, 08:59

I agree with Michael, no need to get a tax lawyer involved as I've been able to get similar issues resolved over the phone a few times just with a signed form 2848. You could do it yourself as well if you have ready access to a fax machine, but sounds like it may be simpler for you to hand off to someone else. Plus you wouldn't have to be on the phone with the IRS for several hours and deal with all of that headache. Could potentially be finished in a single day with a cooperative phone rep at the IRS, could take longer with an uncooperative one.

Unlike normal tax preparation/planning however, form 2848 would require you to seek out someone with the EA or CPA certification specifically since the individual must be licensed to get the power of attorney status.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 25 2024, 09:07
Quote from @Benjamin Weinhart:

I agree with Michael, no need to get a tax lawyer involved as I've been able to get similar issues resolved over the phone a few times just with a signed form 2848. You could do it yourself as well if you have ready access to a fax machine, but sounds like it may be simpler for you to hand off to someone else. Plus you wouldn't have to be on the phone with the IRS for several hours and deal with all of that headache. Could potentially be finished in a single day with a cooperative phone rep at the IRS, could take longer with an uncooperative one.

Unlike normal tax preparation/planning however, form 2848 would require you to seek out someone with the EA or CPA certification specifically since the individual must be licensed to get the power of attorney status.

Thanks Ben 🙏👍

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Replied Apr 25 2024, 13:28

I know you play ball in the field Engelo, so you need primetime ammo and artillery. I got my CPA/EA who I won't promote as he's not on here and what not, and that's not what I do. But I will say there's one other of similar quality that's in this thread, and you just sign those folks up on your team and go to war with peace on the mind. 

Every year we go against the IRS, so you got to come equipped. Can't hire folks that just shoot in the crowd, you need the folks that know how to angle themselves best. This is one expense you do not want to gyp. 

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 13:36

Something similar happened to my dad. He had a tax credit and they didn't apply it and then because they didn't apply the credit they claimed he owed money and then charged him late fees.

He tried calling them NUMEROUS TIMES and waited hours and half the time his call was somehow dropped. 

They're absolutely inept. If we ran out real estate businesses like the IRS ran their B.S. we'd be run out of town. 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 25 2024, 18:07
Quote from @V.G Jason:

I know you play ball in the field Engelo, so you need primetime ammo and artillery. I got my CPA/EA who I won't promote as he's not on here and what not, and that's not what I do. But I will say there's one other of similar quality that's in this thread, and you just sign those folks up on your team and go to war with peace on the mind. 

Every year we go against the IRS, so you got to come equipped. Can't hire folks that just shoot in the crowd, you need the folks that know how to angle themselves best. This is one expense you do not want to gyp. 

Got it mate. Had someone on this for a few years. Did nothing…. Tried doing it ourselves and nada. I’ll message you privately if that’s cool? Thanks 🙏 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Apr 25 2024, 18:11
Quote from @Karl B.:

Something similar happened to my dad. He had a tax credit and they didn't apply it and then because they didn't apply the credit they claimed he owed money and then charged him late fees.

He tried calling them NUMEROUS TIMES and waited hours and half the time his call was somehow dropped. 

They're absolutely inept. If we ran out real estate businesses like the IRS ran their B.S. we'd be run out of town. 

Sorry to hear mate but I feel it firsthand lol. 

We have been dealing with it for a few years now. Bloody joke.

ID.me the IRS log in is so f’ed up. Payments and debts make no sense 

@Dominique Osborn and I have no clue what’s going on haha 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Weinhart
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
Replied Apr 26 2024, 18:49
Quote from @Karl B.:

The IRS will drop calls for people who wait ~1.5-2hrs on hold. I haven't had this happen recently since the infrastructure bill was passed and they got the $80b over 10 years, but that's not uncommon at all. Best to call first thing in the morning when they open. I think I had a 2 minute wait time in early April which was incredibly shocking as I wasn't even using the priority line (needed a general line specifically for this call). I say that to say they are getting much better with phone response times, and will even do callbacks now.

If you or anyone you know need to call for whatever reason, call the office in Ogden, Utah if you have a choice (some forms list multiple locations to call). I have the highest success rate at getting my client's issue resolved over the phone whenever I call them.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 26 2024, 19:29

@Kory Reynolds

We had this happen and we sent a letter to the irs with a copy of the letter we sent and confirmation of payment to them.

They responded by confirming and correcting the issue.

User Stats

Votes
Kory Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Replied May 1 2024, 09:35
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Kory Reynolds

We had this happen and we sent a letter to the irs with a copy of the letter we sent and confirmation of payment to them.

They responded by confirming and correcting the issue.

@Chris Seveney I agree that (phone calls and letters) is the first step, and in 98% of cases, it can be resolved that way, and there is not a need to involve TAS - that would just make it take longer.  That said, it sounds like the OP and their team have already been trying for months with many hours on the phone trying to resolve the issue the old fashioned way, and they aren't getting anywhere. When you reach that point and don't know what else to do, TAS can be a great resource to help get the problem resolved.

I haven't used TAS to address a misapplication of a payment, but depending on what error was made, I could certainly see that being a resource.  The times we have had clients utilize TAS over the last few years was primarily COVID relief related, where involving TAS helped get an issue resolved very quickly.