Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Kahn
Votes |
How much do you REALLY need to close on a property?

Hunter Kahn
Posted Apr 3 2024, 17:37

Hey All,

I've been working on getting my first rental(Multifamily, 6-12 units, locally) and I think I came in too ambitiously. I'm starting out with relatively low capital and as I start honing in on prospects, I'm just now realizing that I haven't yet calculated closing costs into any of my deal analysis. Embarrassing, but...this is reality. I've been looking primarily at deals that offer owner financing or are otherwise open to a creative deal structure. It seems like there's a lot of variability in the category but I'd appreciate any experience this community would be willing to share!

Thanks so much in advance!

-Hunter

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 3 2024, 18:48

Hi Hunter,

Deals with similar prices can have varying reserve requirements as different lenders have different requirements. Closing costs can look different depending on if you are purchasing a 50k property of 500k property. Depending on the type of strategy and the financing, reserves can also differ - whether it's a short-term rental, mid-term rental, conventional, DSCR, etc.

In general it would be:

downpayment + appraisal + title fee + escrow fee and prepaid + lender's fee

For rentals, you would usually be required to have cash on reserves for a certain number of months worth of PITI - typically anywhere from 3-12 months. If you want more specific numbers, it's best to get real estimates from your lender, title, insurance companies.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 4 2024, 08:09

If you have low capital and are brand new to investing, you should try and start with smaller multi-family. A duplex is a great way to start. You can get great cash-flow (In the right locations), use conventional loans (lower rates), have less to manage, and get in for a lower price. If you jump right into a 6-12 unit unexperienced, you will have a lot more room to lose money rather than earn.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 4 2024, 09:15

25-30% for the 5+ units