User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Ultimate Local Neighborhood Recon: Ask on the Streets! - Beat this strategy!

J. Martin
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Jun 21 2014, 16:54

As I've ran into various folks in local meetups, and on the forums, I've repeatedly been asked how I identify the specific properties and streets I want to invest on, especially in lower-income neighborhoods where one block can be very different from the next (as it can be in many Bay Area neighborhoods like Oakland, San Francisco, a lot of areas on the Peninsula.. and frankly, most places!

A lot of people ask a real estate agent, drive or walk through the neighborhood, look on forums for recommendations online, or (yikes!) ask the guy in another state selling them the property!

MY PREFERRED WAY TO FIND OUT THE DYNAMIC ON THE STREET AND NEIGHBORHOOD IS TO ASK ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY I CAN SEE WHAT ITS LIKE.

What is like during the day? At night? Neighbors? Crime? Do they go out with their kids at night? Is it getting better or worse? Do they want to move? Or are they happy to stay? Are there bad parts of the neighborhood? Or problem houses/areas?

You'd be amazed what people are willing to share if you just ask them. I try to walk the streets in the morning and evening when people are coming to and from work. I also have my handyman, who speaks spanish, ask those who speak spanish. Being on the right block makes a world of difference, and if you're willing to put in the effort, you can differentiate between an extra good deal in an area with a bad reputation, or be able to walk away from a rotten egg in what seems to be a better neighborhood..

Tip #2 - Ask the guy who runs the corner liquor store or market. Sometimes, they are the owner who has worked there for 20 years, and would be happy to BS with you for as long as you are willing to stay and listen, as long as they're not too busy..

HOW DO YOU GET BETTER HYPER-LOCAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE STREET AND CLOSEBY NEIGHBORHOOD YOU'RE BUYING IN?

Do you go as far as knocking on doors and asking?
Going to local community meetings?
LIVING in the neighborhood before you buy? (not practical for me)
Better strategy?

Buy and hold landlords, out of state investors, multifamily investors, all of you! Let's hear it! How do you do your hyper-local due diligence after going online?

Loading replies...