User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Be specific on your Contracts and SOW. Details make the difference.

Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Posted Feb 15 2024, 11:17

I'm continuing this from another post I commented on.....I think it's an important enough topic to revisit, we get so many posts from people that had problems with their Contractor and project because expectations were not met (on both sides), and it creates problems with both the schedule and the budget. A good GC should be doing this, but if they are not detail oriented, it may fall on the customer to make sure the details are there.

It's so important to be ultra specific when writing a Scope Of Work and Contract for a construction project - of any size, even a small job can go south without the specifics being spelled out clearly. Take even a small bathroom remodel.....What type of tile is being installed? How many SF? Who is the manufacturer and the model name? Size and color? Who is supplying the tile? Who is picking it up? And then.......how much $$ is due? When will it be paid? What must happen to make this progress payment happen? If there are changes to any of the above, how will that be handled?

I found after years of trial and error that it's best to have a separate Scope Of Work (SOW) that has every detail in it, and 'attach' it to the Contract as "Exhibit A' (for example). Another document (like my tile specs below) could be attached as 'Exhibit B'

Look at this tile spec sheet from one of my jobs as an example, and the detail it contains....and it's only one of four pages..... 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 24 2024, 17:23
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

I'm continuing this from another post I commented on.....I think it's an important enough topic to revisit, we get so many posts from people that had problems with their Contractor and project because expectations were not met (on both sides), and it creates problems with both the schedule and the budget. A good GC should be doing this, but if they are not detail oriented, it may fall on the customer to make sure the details are there.

It's so important to be ultra specific when writing a Scope Of Work and Contract for a construction project - of any size, even a small job can go south without the specifics being spelled out clearly. Take even a small bathroom remodel.....What type of tile is being installed? How many SF? Who is the manufacturer and the model name? Size and color? Who is supplying the tile? Who is picking it up? And then.......how much $$ is due? When will it be paid? What must happen to make this progress payment happen? If there are changes to any of the above, how will that be handled?

I found after years of trial and error that it's best to have a separate Scope Of Work (SOW) that has every detail in it, and 'attach' it to the Contract as "Exhibit A' (for example). Another document (like my tile specs below) could be attached as 'Exhibit B'

Look at this tile spec sheet from one of my jobs as an example, and the detail it contains....and it's only one of four pages..... 

I appreciate your insight into this. I am a new investor trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Do you have a SOW template you would be willing to share? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 24 2024, 17:48

@Bruce Woodruff

Agree 100%. Even the type of wood floor, tile, different colors of paint, bath fixtures, lighting etc

Always give specs and be very specific as you mention, otherwise it can cost you later on down the road

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 24 2024, 18:18
Quote from @Cody Smith:
 I appreciate your insight into this. I am a new investor trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Do you have a SOW template you would be willing to share? Thanks!
PM me...