Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Adoney Reid
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Deigo
Votes |
Buying 1st Investment Property Next Q3-4, Will Taking out business credit card affect

Adoney Reid
  • San Deigo
Posted Apr 15 2024, 23:39

Hello BP Community, 

I am looking to purchase my 1st investment House-hack multifamily property this year in Q3-4. I justed wanted to know if it makes sense to take out a business credit card for my business ? Appreciate your responses in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Veronica
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 16 2024, 06:58

Yes that is probably a smart move.  Most business credit cards do not report on your personal credit report so often times any debt associated with the business credit card will not impact your debt to income ratio. 

Make sure to ask the bank if they will report the business card to your personal credit report.  Some banks  o and some banks dont. 

User Stats

Votes
Adoney Reid
  • San Deigo
Votes |
  • San Deigo
Replied Apr 25 2024, 07:13
Quote from @Eric Veronica:

Yes that is probably a smart move.  Most business credit cards do not report on your personal credit report so often times any debt associated with the business credit card will not impact your debt to income ratio. 

Make sure to ask the bank if they will report the business card to your personal credit report.  Some banks  o and some banks dont. 

Thank you @Eric Veronica. Would it be ok to refinance a vehicle that i cosigned on for a family member. Im assuming getting a lower refi rate would lower payments also improving my DTI Ratio ?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 22:22

@Adoney Reid are you planning to buy this as a primary residence and house hack or buy as an investment property? 2 different things.  If buying as a primary then the lender will be looking at your personal credit.  If buying as an investment and not planning to live there, different story.

As far as taking out a LOC I would make sure you take it out in the LLC or entity you plan to use to purchase the property with so you have some business credit seasoning under your belt. Although business cc don't report against your personal credit you still want to make sure your personal DTI is good, they're going to look at that too unless you're planning to do like a DSCR loan in which case they usually won't. You'll have to put down 20-25%

Getting the vehicle off your DTI will definitely help, see if your family member's credit is good enough for them to refi you off the loan.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Taylor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 27 2024, 18:05

Adoney, 

Use DSCR Loan program: No Income & No Debt Ratio!

As a Direct Lender, (meaning the actual lender underwriting the loan and not a mortgage broker), DSCR program looks for good credit payment history, good credit scores, and validates your available accessible Cash for the Down Payment.

You can close under a new LLC.

First Time Real Estate Investors eligible with qualifying previous Homeownership history. 

The loan program qualifies the property by using Rental Income to cover the Total Mortgage Payment which includes Taxes, Insurance, and HOA.

Regards,

Michael Taylor

User Stats

Votes
Eric Veronica
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 27 2024, 18:36

@Adoney ReidSure that wouldnt hurt 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Apr 30 2024, 11:19
Quote from @Adoney Reid:

Hello BP Community, 

I am looking to purchase my 1st investment House-hack multifamily property this year in Q3-4. I justed wanted to know if it makes sense to take out a business credit card for my business ? Appreciate your responses in advance. 

This would depend on if the business card reports on your personal credit. Lenders will factor in your minimum monthly payment on the balance of the card. 

Are you making any monthly payments on the auto loan? If not, then providing proof that the payments are being made by someone else, will certainly help your DTI ratio

User Stats

Votes
Adoney Reid
  • San Deigo
Votes |
  • San Deigo
Replied May 1 2024, 07:23
Quote from @Steve Meyers:

@Adoney Reid are you planning to buy this as a primary residence and house hack or buy as an investment property? 2 different things.  If buying as a primary then the lender will be looking at your personal credit.  If buying as an investment and not planning to live there, different story.

As far as taking out a LOC I would make sure you take it out in the LLC or entity you plan to use to purchase the property with so you have some business credit seasoning under your belt. Although business cc don't report against your personal credit you still want to make sure your personal DTI is good, they're going to look at that too unless you're planning to do like a DSCR loan in which case they usually won't. You'll have to put down 20-25%

Getting the vehicle off your DTI will definitely help, see if your family member's credit is good enough for them to refi you off the loan.

Thanks for your response @Steve Meyers. I will be buying as my primary residence and house hacking it. My family member I co-signed for doesn't have good credit at the moment so any refinancing would have to be under my name. Any business credit I do take out will be under the LLC and ill make sure the lender doesn't report to the consumer reporting bureaus

User Stats

Votes
Adoney Reid
  • San Deigo
Votes |
  • San Deigo
Replied May 1 2024, 07:25
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @Adoney Reid:

Hello BP Community, 

This would depend on if the business card reports on your personal credit. Lenders will factor in your minimum monthly payment on the balance of the card. 

Are you making any monthly payments on the auto loan? If not, then providing proof that the payments are being made by someone else, will certainly help your DTI ratio

Understood.  Thank you @Erik Estrada