Pro Member
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Can an introvert be successful in REI?

Bill B.
Pro Member
  • Camarillo, CA
Posted Jul 15 2013, 08:16

One of the things that I repeatedly see in the forums is the critical need to network. I understand the whys and I even understand the how to methods of networking that have been discussed.

But, I am not a forward person. I am not a trusting person. I warm up to people very slowly. Having the internet between me and those with whom I am interacting makes things easier, but I can't do everything over the net.

Have any of the experienced people on BP overcome shyness/introversion in their REI dealings? If so, how?

Any advice would be appreciated. I must make REI work.

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Sep 28 2013, 05:41

Another introvert here. I'm a newbie to the REI scene but already dabbling around in it with one property to my name, and more to come of course. The older I get, the easier it is for me to open up, and I love having one-on-one conversations with people I know well. But put me in a group with people I don't know, and I clam up. I have to take people on my own time. Something that I'm sure has caused me to lose potential friends, but the friends who stick around are good enough for me. I'm one that takes years and years to fully trust... but when I reach that point when I'm all in, you're pretty much a friend for life.

I haven't yet faced a situation in RE that I've been overwhelmed with that I can think of, but it's still pretty early in the game for me. What has definitely helped me open up more has been traveling, for one. It pushes you way out of your comfort zone and puts you in contact with all sorts of people. Another has been attending meet-up groups... scary going in, but usually gratifying after since you've already established something in common from the get go.

Not sure I'm in the position to be giving advice, but I encourage you to push your boundaries. One last thing that helped me, incredibly, was getting a job at Starbucks (though any coffee shop would do ;) I was in the position where people wanted to make small talk. I learned to talk back... slowly, painfully, at first and then progressively better. Smiling helps more than you could possibly imagine!

Good luck... just get out there, tiger! :)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Jackson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southold, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southold, NY
Replied Apr 30 2018, 16:59

@Bill B.  This is my favorite thread on BP. So I am going to revive it. Last post was 4 years ago. No way there a not more introverts out there wanting a refresh on this topic for motivation.

I am 42. I began dreaming of being a real estate investor when I was 21 years old. I bought a Carleton Sheets program and did nothing. Then because of my shyness I went into the computer programming field and I began to understand data manipulation. But the pull was always there to be a real estate investor. So 10 years later around 30 ish I tried wholesaling and failed. Only because I sent out a bunch of mailers, got calls, didnt call them all and thought it was failure. I was the failure. Then at 34 I said I can never think about this REI thing again if you dont do it now. So I hired a mentor at my local REI and it took a year but I got my first small multi (5 units) a year later I bought an 8 unit. I then had to deal with some up and down of being a landlord and some life things and about about 4 years ago I got back into it and hired another mentor and refi'd my multifamily. Began buying multifamily properties. And now I have wholesaled deals, flipped deals, bought SFR portfolios, syndicated bigger multifamily and raised millions in private money.

It can be done people. From that first meeting at a REIA where my palms were sweating to now doing public speaking, to raising money to cold calling multifamily owners. It takes time but introverts once they harness their inner strengths and forget the weaknesses come across as very transparent almost immediately. I dont bullshAt people. I get sellers to tell me their bottom line in less than 3 minutes. I shake hands with people and have nice lunches and enjoy their company as I know a relationship is developing. I harness my strengths.

Extroverts shouldn't have all the fun. :)  Contact me, direct message me if you are an introvert and need a boost. If you feel real estate investing is something you know in your bones you would be good at.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.
Pro Member
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied May 1 2018, 08:36

@Chris Jackson 

Thanks for the kind words.  

And congratulations on your success.

I’m making progress, but haven’t gotten to your level......yet.

Continued success!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 12 2021, 16:18

@Chris Jackson wow this was so inspiring for me to read! I've gone through this whole thread because I spent two hours today cold calling for the first time and it was the most uncomfortable thing I think I have ever done, so I was questioning if this was the right thing for me to pursue. I am twenty one and have hesitated getting into real estate because I am introverted but your post just gave me real motivation, so I thank you for that.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Jackson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southold, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southold, NY
Replied Apr 21 2021, 03:33

@Mizy Kalmanson - follow me online. Its been 3 years since this post. Personal growth is fun to watch when one is willing to share. 300 units processed , 600 units in contract. raised over 15M. Team is building, I'm in the lane. Worked 20 years to get here. it's all possible.