1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Noa Zell
Votes |
1031 Alternatives for back to back escrow deal

Noa Zell
Posted Mar 8 2024, 07:59

Are there any good alternatives to a 1031 exchange for a back to back escrow deal, since the property in question will never be under my name? I have an option to purchase at an attractive price but would rather not bring cash to the transaction. I am looking to secure a buyer and close with both parties in escrow. How can I avoid capital gains tax if at all?

Any first-hand information on DSTs of 731s would be helpful, or any other creative ideas that could make this deal profitable.

User Stats

Votes
Noa Zell
Votes |
Replied Mar 8 2024, 08:13

Note that the property is a commercial property

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 8 2024, 09:45

Nope. You aren’t going to convince the irs you bought a property as an investment if you sell it the same week. They’re going to call you a “dealer” and count your real estate as inventory. You’re going to face the maximum taxes possible. State and federal and maybe self employment. 

You alternatives are hold for a year to only pay capital gains tax. Move in to it and fix it up and stay there for 2 years to be tax exempt. Anything less than a year is penalized. 

Ps. Ignore the move in I see your second post saying commercial. So hold for a year and fix it up would get you down to just capital gains tax. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Noa Zell
Votes |
Replied Mar 8 2024, 15:53
Quote from @Bill Brandt:

Nope. You aren’t going to convince the irs you bought a property as an investment if you sell it the same week. They’re going to call you a “dealer” and count your real estate as inventory. You’re going to face the maximum taxes possible. State and federal and maybe self employment. 

You alternatives are hold for a year to only pay capital gains tax. Move in to it and fix it up and stay there for 2 years to be tax exempt. Anything less than a year is penalized. 

Ps. Ignore the move in I see your second post saying commercial. So hold for a year and fix it up would get you down to just capital gains tax. 

Thank you Bill!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Mar 8 2024, 17:57

@Noa Zell, The 1031 is out because your intent is not to hold for productive use.  And no go on capital gains tax either.  You'll pay ordinary income tax.